What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

i spy the entire series from tmg (1 Viewer)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I never bought the earlier collections Image released, so I may get this.

It would be nice if extras were included, such as the reunion TV movie "I Spy Returns". As I recall, it wasn't great, but not awful either as some reunion movies can be. Or the episode of Cosby's late-90s sitcom, where his character Hilton falls asleep while watching an I Spy marathon and dreams he's Alexander Scott; and the episode has him and guest star Culp's Kelly Robinson on one more mission together. But I'm guessing it will be a bare bones release, which, if the quality is good, would still be worth getting.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I did purchase the earlier set. It's okay, but the prints are messy in places. Maybe this set will be a whole lot better.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
kingfish said:
The press release says, "This 18-disc release will cost $129.99 SRP."

I dunno, I kinda expected this to be cheaper considering its TMG, and also since Image has released the series twice before. Season 3 appears to be out of print, but season 2 can be currently bought for 12 bucks at amazon, and season 1 is currently $25.

For comparison, TMG is also releasing the Big Valley season 2, a 5-disc set for about 20 bucks. Maybe they're not going to cram so many episodes per disc for I Spy

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The three season box sets that came out in '08 were only $15 each or so, making the entire series under $50. There would have to be a significant upgrade involved, along with extras, to justify getting the set.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
WIth all due respect to fans of this show, TMG would have been better advised to work on a series that has yet to have all its episodes released on DVD *once* as opposed to a show that has had full releases *twice* in the past.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have the original mixed bag releases and don't intend to replace them. I would have rathered something better from the start but I just don't care to throw more money after this series. I thought they released the tv reunion film by itself once before but I never got it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have the original three boxed set of releases which is 21 discs meaning less compression. TMG will not have sprung for new remasterings and I'd even be skeptical of their ability to retain the Culp commentaries from the Image releases. I'm not going to mention in this thread what titles I think TMG should be releasing instead, but the case for doing this a third time IMO is very weak.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
Jack P said:
I'm not going to mention in this thread what titles I think TMG should be releasing instead, but the case for doing this a third time IMO is very weak.
Agreed, which makes me wonder who is actually calling the shots for this release. This just feels more like a Shout! decision to me than TMG.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Considering I got the Image releases when they came out for $12.99 each. These would have to be a big improvement in prints to buy this again. But since TMG does not remaster the chances of these not being the same prints is extremely high.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
It is true that TMG primarily just works with what they get. In the case of Peter Gunn it worked in our favor because what TMG received was the same prints used in the UK release, which were far better than what A&E had previously put out. So the question is whether new prints surfaced somewhere that are of a much better quality that TMG was able to get a hold of, like with Peter Gunn. I only give this a glimmer of a hope due to the price being charged. If it was the same old stuff I would expect something more like Millcreek re-release pricing. but this is more like Peter Gunn with new prints pricing. Like many here I have the Image release, so it will take better prints and a decent discount on the pricing to get me to double dip.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Same here. I'm basically happy with my Image season sets and won't be looking to replace them unless the image is vastly improved. Plus I got mine during a B1G1 free sale so paid under $20 for the whole series.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
hypnohighball said:
I still need season 3 which is very expensive for some reason - I wonder if they are releasing the seasons individually as well?
Hopefully they will do that. Probably a few months after the complete set has been out.
I eventually got season 4 of Route 66 that way (for 10 bucks on ebay).

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
I was saying the same thing when TMG announced the price for this set. I recall those previous season sets being as low as $10 each. Target had them at one time and I just wasn;t interested in the series. But, charging $129.99 for a new collection. They are going to have to throw in a lot of extras and remaster the entire series just to justify anybody purchasing the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark Alan Vieira
Recent bookmarks