What's new

I Spy . . . . Going out of print??? (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Image Entertainment’s online catalog still lists them, but a check at Amazon’s site shows the three box sets averaging $75 through Amazon sellers (list price on these sets is $39.95) but with most/all of the single discs still available. Over at Deep Discount, one of the box sets is still available and they are carrying only one of the single discs releases. Oldies.com has some of the single discs but none of the box sets. Anyone know what’s going on with “I Spy?”

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Well I already got all three season set of I Spy, but I have to say if it wasnt that I love the show Image entermiment package leaves allot to be desired . No in esposide chapters, only ok captures video and sound, no CC, at best tech wise its at best C+ dvd season set, unless your a hardcore fan like me (So cal no reruns for years) the connivance factor alone makes I Spy season set a A-. I know Im dreaming but If someone else re released the I spy sets again with some cool interview extras ,like the ones being talk about for the man from UNCLE season sets that wouldnt be horrible;) . But no I wouldnt be shock if the I Spy went out of print because Im sure so so word of mouth on the set discourage all but a most hardcore fans that need to re experience the "Wonderfuliness" of I Spy on regular bases.;)

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I had box set #2 on order for months at Amazon, but the ship date kept getting pushed out, so I cancelled it and ordered the individual discs where I could find them (from two different sources, it turned out). I was lucky enough to find set #3 at Barnes & Noble not long ago, but haven't seen it anywhere since; happily, I bought that copy. My advice is to go for yourself and snatch up the episodes whether they're in sets or on the separate discs -- supplies definitely seem to be running low.

As for Image's handling of the series, yeah, the sequence of the episodes isn't in any kind of sensible order on the discs, and they're anything but pristine, but I'm happy just have them all available (for now, anyway). I'd love to see repackaged full-season sets with extras, commentaries, and remastered sound and image, but I'll take what I can get -- especially when series like The Big Valley, etc., etc., seem to be getting abandoned by the bigger distributors. Thank heaven for the wonderfulness of Image.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I managed to get Volume 3 from Walmart.com a few weeks ago, after I noticed it seemed unavailable from Amazon. It looks like they still have it and volume 1, which I already owned. Grab 'em while you can--$35.88 each! They're in print in Germany as Tennis, Schläger & Kanonen, but I haven't figured out if the sets correspond to the US ones yet.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I have all three sets--got them cheap at DDD during one of those 20% off sales years ago--and one major problem I had was that they didn't have the episodes in order. Outside of that, they were fine. The Robert Culp Commentaries rock the house, however.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes I like culp's audio commentarys I just wish they were full blown video segements. But for a hard core fan like me the dvds
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
lol.:)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Oldies.com is currently offering many (but not all) of the single disc "I Spy" releases for $5.95 each, or for $5.00 each when purchased in groups of five. This might be a good opportunity for anyone looking to fill in a few gaps in their collection.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for the tip, Bob. I managed to piece together box set 2, the one I didn't have, for $40.85 with shipping. They also appear to still have all the Naked City sets in stock, if anyone's interested.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I got mine like 5 years ago. I just remember being pissed because the first episode I watched had a minute and a half of a fight scene missing. I checked my VHS from a run in DC in the early 80s that was complete and sure enough the scene was there. I don't know how many other episodes had cuts in them but the run times do vary.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Glad I found this thread.... I just scored all 21 volumes for FIFTY CENTS each on eBay! The seller is White Elephant Media, and they still have 3 or 4 copies of each volume available....

Tom.W

Second Unit
Craig, thanks for the tip. I just did the same for 20 vols. These may be cut to some degree but still upgrades over my tv versions. For this price, not much to lose...

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
5.99 for the first disc, then 3.99 for each subsequent disc. Kinda steep, but still way cheaper for the whole series than anywhere else.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Kinda steep? The 14 discs I was going to buy would've cost $57.86 to ship. Additionally, "This item ships USPS Standard..." says Media Mail to me. (Illinois residents pay sales tax.)

I surely don't fault you for buying them, though. OOP is OOP and the pricing works out to be about the same as the boxes were at around $4.63 a disc.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Any word on this going OOP? Or being re-released? It seems a natural to re-do this series, at least in terms of packaging. At 21 discs, this series could be put in a package smaller than the Get Smart set of last year. Here's hopin'.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Yeah, the 50 cents per disc totally hooked me, and I did end up paying more than I meant to with the shipping cost tacked on... however, it's not a matter of "OOP is OOP". I'm a huge fan of Robert Culp, and I've been meaning to get these discs for a long time. If I'd bought them a few years ago, I would've paid full retail. So... still a good deal.

But yeah, the shipping is SLOW. In fact, I've only received 7 out of 21 discs so far (I ordered them in two batches, 7 and 14). Hopefully in a few days....

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Another source where I just scored 8 copies of the single volume "I Spy" DVDs (4 episodes each) is Spun, where they are selling (or trading) at $4.08 each. And if the order is over $30, and you have traded that amount of stuff in, shipping is free. I traded in a bunch of old cds past that amount and got all 8, free. Sort of.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
(Wayne,

Welcome to the forum!

Don't start believing this place is haunted. :)
I removed your second post, because the first one was there alright. You just couldn't see it.

Cees)

sroeser

Auditioning
Real Name
Stefan
I remember seeing all 3 box sets together in Borders and thinking I should pick them up.

Finally after reading this thread I went back and they were gone. Borders, Barnes and Noble, FYE, etc., no one had the sets. They were pretty much unavailable and my e-mail to Image Entertainment bounced.

However, I lucked out and found sets 1 & 3 at Newbury Comics -- local CD, DVD, comic book shop in New England -- and set #2 from Half.com.

Set 1 (new) was $24.99
Set 2 (used and seemingly rare) was $82.94 with shipping
and 3 (used) was $29.99

The prices -- especially Set #2 -- may be on the high side, but I seriously thought I wasn't going to find them. Plus Set #3 (new) was going for $100 on-line.

If anyone needs Set #1, Newbury Comics has several used sets available.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Oldies.com now has the three box sets back in stock, each at $34.95 plus shipping and has many, but not all of the single disc releases for $5.95 each ($5.00 each if purchased in groups of five).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks