I sold out and accepted a new job.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

There's a movie from 1965, a brilliant movie that isn't out on DVD yet called A Thousand Clowns starring Jason Robards. For those that haven't seen it, it's about a guy who's unemployed and lives in New York. He runs around town with his young nephew, telling him one morning that he's about to see something terrible: people going to work. Well basically this man has his modest adventures in the city, meeting a woman and such. He's a dreamer, and a romantic. He stops to smell the roses while others pass them by on their way to work.

As much as he loathes and resists the idea of employment throughout the movie, at the end he puts on his nice clothes and runs to catch a bus headed to a new job.

Well for almost a year now I've been that man. Unemployed and for the most part, loving it. Taking trips, smelling the proverbial roses. I've been able to travel to Europe, buy a new[used] car, take bizarre road trips [​IMG], and generally become a professional slacker.

Those days are over: I begin a new job next week and I'll be running to join the throngs of employed people. I'm hesitant to say the least. See I've enjoyed my extended vacation and for it to end is, well, sad. Also because I had been planning on moving to Europe, specifically Sweden, if nothing here in L.A. came my way. But something has come my way. Sure the pays sucks and the job will probably suck too but I'm willing to check it out and give it a go. Why not? I'd be making more money than... well than the nothing I was recently making while unemployed. And it'll get me back into 'work mode', being around more people, etc. I've also realized that moving to Sweden might not be too good in the late-Fall/Winter months because it'll be really cold. So I've pushed that idea back to early 2005, around Springish to gently break me in to Nordic weather.

So here I come, new job!
    *skips to work

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Now who's going to beat the shit out of [​IMG]FRED, huh??? You'll be like "man, I'm TIRED! Get someone else!" all the time now. Man, you used to be cool.

[​IMG] Just kidding of course, here's hoping the new job doesn't suck and may it net you enough cash to afford another year of professional slackerdom (slackerhood?) [​IMG]

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Slackerie.

--
    H

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Slackness!

B

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I was looking for a job and I found a job
    Heaven knows I am Miserable now
    The Smiths

6. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I hear Sweden can be expensive, but you'll love it there. I wish I could afford to slack. I envy slackers like you Gary. You're living the real life.....SLACKER!!!!!!!!

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

How exactly does one finance an extended period of slackdom?

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

9. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

You know what, after years of working and essentially getting no where I decided that 2004 would be my year. Fuck the dumb shit: Gary Strikes Back. That means playing by my rules, legally however, actually using the system to my advantage in terms of bankruptcy and such. But basically 'thinking out of the box'. Also looking to other countries like Sweden to move to because America isn't the end-all-be-all. There's a whole world out there, why should I glue myself here? Yeah well it seems I have now since I accepted the new job!

But anyway my point is this: There will always be work. I could include on my resume that I worked up until yesterday morning and do you think most companies will check to see if that's indeed the case? Most likely they won't. I don't live to work some useless fucking job for a company I'm not sure I even believe in.

You know what I want to ask during an interview when the moment arises when the person interviewing you asks the question, "So do you have any questions?" Yeah I've got a question: why should I work for you? That's a reasonable question.

At any rate, I just figured that employment was perpetual no matter what the job was. In essence they're all shit jobs unless you're doing what you really want to do. And how often does that happen? Not often enough.

It's not all about being rich. It's not all about who has the most. It's not all about who's the more famous. It's about realizing who you are and what you have in order to live a satisfactory life with no complaints. A title doesn't mean shit only within that small box called a company that bestows that title upon you.

It's like a famous American singer or for that matter a famous Swedish singer going to another country where no one recognizes them. If you're on your own turf you get certain things but once you stray don't expect to be treated the same.

I figure I could move to Stockholm and live a happy, content life without the pressures and stress and be surrounded with all the gorgeous beauty. I don't care if I work at the front desk of a hotel. Just like the main character in A Thousand Clowns, for the majority of 2004 I had dropped out of the rat race. But now in accepting this job I've thrown myself right back in and thrown my beliefs out the window. Label me a hyprocrit. Well at least for the time being. I also want to finish this one dang script before I leave the country so this job gives me more time to work on it.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Sounds like you loved the idea of having others (via the coercive power of the state) finance your lifestyle choices for you. Not worthy of emulation, IMO.

11. Todd Hochard

Agreed.

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

A Thousand Clowns is really a kickass movie. Maybe there'll be one day when all our living needs can be satisfied without going to work 30-40 hours a week, but until then get a job you lazy bum! [​IMG]

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Hopefully it'll arrive on DVD soon. True I've been lazy, wasn't anything wrong with that as long as I realized I had to eventually enter back into the job market.

14. Todd Hochard

It's called childhood.

There can be no reward without work- not over the long term, or for large numbers of people. You're talking about the economic equivalent of the perpetual motion machine.

15. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I think in a perfect world no one would work. Robots and computers do it all and people are given money on a weekly basis from the government. Those that want to could volunteer to work or teach. The amount of money received would depend on a persons age. The younger you are the less money you'd receive, the older you are the more money you get. Special conditions would exist for those that choose to go to college and such. The more you further your education the more money you're entitled to.

Then again everyone would get fat and lazy. I can also hear Woody Allen mention something about the importance of actually making an effort. But there would be little to no crime because everyone would be getting an equal amount of money depending on their age. The homeless situation practically wouldn't exist. Everyone could do what they want within legal boundries. Getting money wouldn't be a goal to achieve. If you want it you got it.

It's a pipe dream for sure. But I think it would be an interesting experiment to perform in some small test community somewhere.

16. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Todd- but consider how much less we've had to work over the years. The professional world getting more holidays, paid vacations, etc... And now my father gets Fridays off if he chooses to through some new government plan, seems to be working great for everyone that's been using it.

My local bank even has Mondays off because you can do a lot of things on the internet now. Echoing Gary's thought on computers doing all the work.

Wasn't this idea accomplished in Star Trek? [​IMG]

17. Todd Hochard

Is that really everyone's dream? To live an ENTIRE life, and have NOTHING to show for it? To look back on your entire existence on this planet, and know that you, in no way, shape, or form, contributed ANYTHING to the advancement of Mankind? Really?

Not mine.

Western Europe is playing with this sort of social experiment, and it's failing miserably. Germany, for example, is beginning to become heavily burdened under their welfare system, which compels people to choose welfare benefits over working at the post office, because it pays better. The East German effect is but a portion of it- West Germans are heavily partaking in the use of these programs, as well. And, speaking to some working people in Germany, it bugs the crap out of them to carry the freeloaders.

Now, to be sure, the current system of Capitalism At Any Cost(tm) is wraught with problems and abuses. But, the pipe dream that one can (or should, for that matter) get something for nothing is way off, IMO.

Uh, didn't people still have to pilot and maintain the vessels on Star Trek? I guess they forgot to show all the behind-the-scenes infrastructure people.[​IMG]

Todd

18. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Ripping off the credit card companies via a planned bankruptcy is just about as close to fraud as you can come. And even if it's not "legally" fraud, it sure is wrong - there was nothing stopping you from working and paying your bills. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

There was something stopping me: the fact that I couldn't get any work. I have actually been looking for a job since around May or June. Well technically I was also looking for a job before my trip to Europe in March, once I returned I got back into the habit of looking for work.

And I don't consider it ripping off credit card companies when that was the only means by which I could survive unemployed until this point in time. There is such a thing as living off your credit cards and as far as I know that's not wrong when you need money to pay rent and bills. Besides, I was already in debt while I was employed last year. I had thought about filing for bankruptcy if I stayed unemployed for too long. I didn't just suddenly rack up my debt during unemployment. I've been paying the same credit card bills for many years, like most people, because of high interest rates.

As far as I'm concerned there has been nothing fraudulent about my activities, unless trying to survive is considered fraud.

20. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    There are many, many programs available that will let you pay off your debts at a lower interest rate - when you are in a time of financial trouble, they are the best way to go. I don't claim to know the job market in LA, but I can't believe that there were NO jobs to be had for a year. They may not have been jobs you *wanted* to do - or even in your field, whatever it is - but they would certainly have paid you money and allowed you to probably avoid bankruptcy, especially if you had engaged one of those above-mentioned debt management firms to work with your creditors to reduce your monthly payments.

I know many folks who have had to live off credit cards to survive during down periods - but none have ever had to go the bankruptcy route. Thanks for helping to raise my interest rates by making the CC companies write off your debt!