I see the screen grain in whites (did I get the wrong screen)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Keegan, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Keegan

Keegan Auditioning

I just installed an Infocus 4805 and a 92” Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision Cinema Contour. The problem is
    When I first got the projector I set it up and shot it against a grey wall, the picture was awesome and could not wait to get the screen up.

Well I got the screen up and now I’m not as happy. I can see the grain or something from the screen only in the white areas is it really bad
    The image and colors look great just the whites do not make me happy.
    Did I get the wrong screen for a completely light controlled room. Or is this something I can reduce the white level.

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Screen choice is critical. Have you noticed when you got to a movie theatre that the screen is full of holes? They're perforated to let the sound out but unless you get close to the screen or look at it from behind, you'd never know.

I currently have my 4805 pointed at my Dalite Cinemascope model B glass bead screen and I can see the screen surface if I look for it, but then I can when I show movies on it too. As soon as I get the ceiling mount then the 4805 will be pointed at an electric 16:9 screen with a gain of "1" which doesn't have the high gain surface.

The best solution is to get various samples of screen surfaces and mount them on a board and put them up and see what difference surfaces look like in your room.

(A side note which borders on hearsey--some very low diffuse ambient light in the room will reduce the screen contrast and might make the picture more tolerable to you. This is a trade off and something only you can decide.)

3. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Oops! But you're right it is a bit of both. Any room light is going to reduce contrast and thus "wash out" the picture a bit, but it will also have the effect of taking the edge off the white screen pattern. A $1.00 night light in a wall outlet is a cheap experiment and much less expensive than a new screen. Again screen choice is difficult and really (IMHO) should be done with several sample in the room where you intend to view the material and under the conditions you will have. A catalog and spec sheets just donesn't cut it here.

John

4. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Very basic scenario.

Any screen door can and will be the most noticeable on a pure white background when the projector shows just such an image. Unfortunately you are seeing screen door effect and the situation you describe is the most common scenario to notice it.

I have a 720p projector sitting 14' back from the screen and notice it on occasion as well with the same projected imagery. Your 480p unit will be even more noticeable.

High gain screens at 2.0 or above only exagerate this issue.

Screen gain issues will be noticed on all areas of the screen regardless of the colors or lack of.

The 4805 is probably one of the last projectors I would use with a very high gain screen as the light output from this unit is fabulous and it is not required unless maybe you have lots of ambient light coming into the room which is not the ideal way to watch movies on a front projector anyways.

You can have every screen make and model possible and the end result will be the same regardless.[​IMG]

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Actually, you may be seeing something that made me decide against DaLite screens.

The screen itself often seems to have almost a crystaline 'grain' to it; even their low-gain and gray screens.

Some of their screens - I don't know which ones - don't show it as much (they aren't always marked as to the 'trim line.')

Leo

6. Keegan

Keegan Auditioning

I wish I would have known before I spent $700 on this screen I wonder if they will take it back.

Thanks