What's new

I see no Image using HDMI Connection (1 Viewer)

Sabu-Agu

Agent
Real Name
Franklin
Guys I need some help here. When I connected the HD-XA1 to my Panasonic via HDMI, I did not get a picture. I tried a different HDMI cable and didn't work. It would say HDMI Error on the player. However, it worked fine through component. I contacted both Panasonic and Toshiba. Panasonic said I should contact Toshiba for the firmware upgrade which made sense since I had read about it here. When I contacted Toshiba the lady who was helping me walked me through some steps but never mentioned the update. I brought it up and asked her to send it to me in a disc over the mail. Many days have gone by and decided not to wait anymore. Went ahead and did it through the internet.
This is the original version I found in the player: 1.4/1.09/2.0R
After it was done it changed to : 2.0/1.0A/2.05.
Well, I connected everything again using HDMI and what do you know? Nothing happened - no picture still. What could it be? Model number for TV is TH-42PX60U and the player is HD-XA1.
Again, I have tried two brand new HDMI cables. I believe the firmware to be upgraded :frowning: . Not sure what else to do. Please help me - enlighten me as I may be missing something critical.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Have you checked your receiver to make sure that the source you are connected through points to the HDMI imput. I know on my Pioneer Elite I must setup the proper input to source. If I hve it set up to HDMI 1, it will not read the component input as yours is. Might want to check.

Sabu-Agu

Agent
Real Name
Franklin

Well, right now I have the component cables and HDMI cable connected to the HD-XA1. If I choose the input source in my TV as COMPONENT 1, the picture will show. If I go back and choose HDMI1, it won't. At first I had forgotten to press the V.Output button in the remote until HDMI lit up. I did it afterwards and still nothing happened. I have no receiver hooked up (just yet).

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Be sure you have the TV turned on (and set to the correct HDMI input) before you turn on the HD DVD player. It sounds to me like you have a "handshaking" problem with the TV, so the HD DVD player doesn't realize that it's connected to a legitimate HDMI device. (I sometimes have this handshaking problem with my projector.)

This is a relatively common problem with HDMI devices. Component connections don't do this handshaking and that's why it works just fine. It's really another example of the content owners imposing usage restrictions that just inconvenience the consumer.

Also, be sure you have the HD DVD set to a resolution your TV will accept. Try pressing the Resolution button on the remote to test other output resolutions. In order to get HD output, you'll eventually want to use 720p or 1080i output; but for testing purposes, try the lower-rez options to see if you get a picture that way.

Sabu-Agu

Agent
Real Name
Franklin

If there was one thing I learned from Toshiba Rep, it was to do just that - have TV turned on, set to correct HDMI input before turning the HD DVD player. I have done this so this possibility can be ruled out. What I haven't done is to switch back and forth between resolutions. I have an HD DVD movie which plays fine in 1080i using components so I felt I shouldn't touch the resolution and leave as is but will try. By the way, the native resolution of this TV is 720p, if it helps any.
One thing I have noticed also is that after the player reads the disc, it starts playing - you can see the timer going but after a few minutes it stops by itself. :frowning:
Help me!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
You have an HDMI handshaking problem, pure and simple, IMO. If the cable is connected directly to the display, you're only going to resolve this by harrassing Panasonic and Toshiba about the problem, or by being satisfied with the component connection, which should look pretty darn good.

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi
I had the exact same problem last week with my Samsung 50" plasma and the HD-A1. Component worked fine but when hooked up to HDMI, it displayed an HDMI error. It has nothing to do with the resolution. Turned out that the HDMI input on my TV was defective. Samsung technician came out to test it and ordered parts right away. They replaced the whole circuit board and now it works perfectly and looks awesome!

I guess the only way to be sure your TV is defective is by trying to plug in another HDMI device. Does your old DVD player have HDMI outputs??

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with what king is saying. Your next step should be to hook up another known good HDMI player to your TV. Failing that, take your player (and your HDMI cables) to a friend who has an HDMI-equipped TV, or a local store who's willing to let you hook up your HD-DVD player to one of their TVs for a quick test. Short of using an HDMI test set (if there is such a thing), it's about the only way to find out which component is causing you grief.

Sabu-Agu

Agent
Real Name
Franklin

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately I don't have any other HDMI Device. However, my brother has the same TV and I went over to his house w/ the HD-XA1 along w/ my cables and movie. He is currently using a box from comcast to receive HD - also recorder I think. Anyway, he is using a DVI (box) to HDMI (TV)cable and the picture is nice and crisp. I figure his HDMI connection is working just fine so I connect my PLAYER to his TV. The minute the display on the player says NO DISC, I knew it was not working because just like when using component cables, you will see the NO DISC in your TV/display as well. Well, that didn't come up in the screen. I re-did everything the same way using the component cables and I got the NO DISC on the TV. The HD DVD logo on the lower right hand corner never appears either when using HDMI. I'd like to rule out the TV as the culprit since he gets HD through the cable box though his connection is DVI to HDMI. Does it matter?
I spoke to Toshiba and they want me to send it in to TOSHIBA DEPOT SERVICE in Massachusetts. :frowning: That kinda sucks just because I just started my vacation and thought I would watch lots of movies.
By the way, according to the Toshiba Rep, the firmware upgrade discs that they are sending out are 2.1 :eek:
Maybe I get it by the end of this week coming up.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Hooked up via component, check what your HDMI audio settings are. If I had the HDMI set to anything other than PCM it would give me the HDMI Error 1 message any time I had a Dolby TrueHD title in.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Read the manual off your plasma, make sure you use HDMI 1, and also try turning off Control with HDMI in the plasmas setup.

Sabu-Agu

Agent
Real Name
Franklin
Ok, I turned off the Control w/ HDMI feature and also set it to PCM. No video yet :frowning:
Tried it w/ another TV w/ HDMI connection. Didn't work either although I saw a few green and some blue flashes. Kinda got happy since I know there is a blue bar that appears around the NO DISC in the display. Oh well. Not sure what else to try.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

Maybe this was covered but.....Are you sure that the unit's HDMI output has been activated? If not, turn on the unit and press V. output on the remote.

Sabu-Agu

Agent
Real Name
Franklin

Yes, it was activated. It shows in the display screen in very small letters - HDMI. It's right above the numbers.
I am giving up really - just waiting on the shipping labels. :frowning:

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

Turn on your display first with the correct input selected. Then try a test of setting the A1's resolution to 480 and see it it comes thru.

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
Encountered the same problem last night, setting up my new XA1. Change the TV's input to whatever digital connection is right for the HDMI of your DVD player. It is set to a input area for the component connection.

Pete.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

I think he means your TV might be set to accept component at the input you are trying instead of HDMI. If so change the input to HDMI

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
I thought I had issues after hooking up my Oppo player and DirecTV box through my Denon Receiver and to my Vizio L32 via HDMI (all HDMI devices). I wasn't getting a picture reliably, and I checked and rechecked settings. Annoyingly enough, I discovered that everything was set up correctly, it's just that my HDTV takes up to 60 seconds to display the picture when a different source is selected, or you try to access the OSD for the Denon receiver. 60 seconds. No joke--every time I switch sources or turn on the TV to one source. Very, very annoying.

So, I've ordered more component and optical cable to re-do all of my connections. I have every confidence that once I switch back to component + optical, all of my issues will go away.

It's really a shame that HDMI is still not ready for prime time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks