What's new

I see black helicopters! No, really.. (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
So, I guess you have all heard about the extra secutiy and the gunships that were going to be partrolling Las Vegas tonight.

Well, I live out in the NW part of the valley, away from the strip, and am watching helicopters fly from place to place out here, shining their lights onto different locations.

Just saw one fly slowly over the neighborhood going North.
I saw it again a few minutes later shining it's light down in an area where an elementary school is about 1/4 mile away from me. It then turned and headed SE.

I know it's not especially interesting, but it's weird how it seems to be on some sort of patrol. I figured they would have stayed down near the strip, but I guess they are heading out here, too.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Not every helicopter or individual in the U.S. military, much less every cop on every police force in the country, has night vision equipment. :) It is still comparatively expensive, and there's never enough to go around.

Also air units frequently coordinate with ground units, so even a night-vision equipped helicopter may still shine a searchlight on a suspect it's spotted, to guide ground personnel and illuminate the target for them.

Regards,

Joe

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It is my understanding that night vision is hampered in areas with much ground lighting, and Vegas is tops on that list.... They probably have to swap back and forth using it.

Sam

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I haven't seen a polce helicopter that wasn't equipped with FLIR. Come to think of it, the NEWS helicopters here are FLIR equipped also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks