I screwed up buying Shrek

Discussion in 'DVD' started by CaseyLS, Jun 9, 2004.

1. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

So anyway on Sunday I bought Shrek from Walmart and when I got home, I realized I had a full screen copy. I was a little mad but I decided to put off watching it. Tonight, I went back to Walmart and returned it. In exchange, I got $11.65 and a stick of Mitchum deodorant. So then I went to Sam Goody and picked the Shrek/Shrek 3D Two Pack, which clearly states and the top a full and widescreen version of the damned movie. Of course what they fail to mention, is that the 16 minute Shrek 3D is widescreen and the actual movie is full screen. Ugh, I suck at life[​IMG]

2. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

So Casey, how is the deodorant stick...?

[​IMG]

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Is the widescreen version of Shrek available anywhere? Target only has the foolscreen version too...(not looking for the 3-D thing, just the movie.)

4. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I hear ya, guys. The sequel got me interested in buying the original, but I wasn't getting full screen. I ended up snagging a used 2 disc set online. I'd like to see Shrek 3D, but not getting the full screen copy for it. It's just annoying that Shrek 3D is Widescreen, yet the first movie is not.

5. jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols Stunt Coordinator

I can't believe people online haven't been more vocal about this than they have. Shrek is one of the biggest family titles of all time and you cannot get it in widescreen (Unless you pickup the 2 disc copy online). There is no excuse of this. I'm glad I got my copy when I did.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 2disc widescreen/fullscreen set is OOP (out of print) and only the 1disc full screen only version is currently available at retail. Your best bet is somewhere like half or ebay on the 2disc set.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

7. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Maybe they'll re-release it when Shrek 2 hits the stores...

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Is the FS version recomposited like the Pixar films? Small consolation, I know, but at least it would be less obnoxious.

9. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

The two-disc widescreen release is almos timpossible to find now. It was discontinued awhile ago, and then Dreamworks released Shrek two more times. First with slightly new cover art, and then again with the 3D pack. Both were Fullscreen releases.

10. Dave Corder

Dave Corder Stunt Coordinator

I've seen the Shrek 2-disc in a few stores not that long ago. I think I finally got it about 2 or 3 months ago at my local Hastings. Had a coupon for any DVD movie for $13.99 in celebration of their grand opening. I was quite surprised to find a copy of the 2-disc version, so I decided I better buy it before someone else got to it. As I recall, they had several copies there. Haven't looked recently. Might check some of the smaller, less mainstream stores (ie, not Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc) and see if they still have it.

Sucks when I don't buy DVDs when the come out and then don't decide to actually buy them until *after* they go OOP and I don't notice (happened with Mall Rats, Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and a couple others).

Still don't understand why they pull perfectly good DVDs from the market (especially when they replace them with lesser editions like Shrek).

Wait a minute...as I was composing this respone, I checked a couple of online vendors. Bestbuy.com still lists the 2-disc version as available (unless I'm reading the website wrong, this seems to be it . So does Deep Discount DVD.

Is the 2-disc special edition really out of print, or are retailers just not stocking it in favor of the single-disc edition?

Plus, I second the compliant about Shrek 3-D only being available in conjunction with the single-disc full frame version of Shrek. I'd buy the combo pack and hand the single-disc version off to someone else, but I can't stand subjecting anyone else to a MAR movie.

Dave

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

You got Double Panned & Scammed!!!
    My movie loving heart, goes out too you brother.

12. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I got my 2-disc copy of 'Shrek' through Columbia House around September/October. According to their Canadian website, they still sell it. I'm actually glad I got it when I did, especially if it is so hard to find these days. I'm glad I stayed away from the '3-D' set. I had no intention of buying it what-so-ever, and this was before I learned the initial movie was P&S.

13. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

Someone ad Dreamworks deserves to be kicked squarely between the legs for making the OAR Shrek so difficult to find
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

No. Watch the Robin Hood scene. It's obviously just a crop.

15. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

Guess its the only way for DreamWorks to get rid of the fool screen versions...

16. Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I just got myself a widescreen copy of Shrek just last week you can oder it here

Just click on the link and do a search for Shrek, you get free delivery and here in the UK the price was £9.99.

Cheers

Lance UK

17. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Supporting Actor

AFAIK, you can only buy the widescreen version in the UK. [​IMG]

18. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I hadn't even realized that it was out of print. Why was this again?

Glad I got mine when I did though.

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I'll suggest this again....

I think DreamWorks should package that
    3D DVD with the upcoming widescreen release
    of Shrek 2.

It would give the opportunity for enthusiasts
    like us to purchase the gift set who now would
    not otherwise.

20. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I also was unable to find the widescreen at any b&m stores, but I just ordered it from Laser's Edge, so it's still available on line.