I saw this last month and it's been bugging me ever since...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

It is a television show (on VH1?) which visits a celebrity in their home for an hour. This episode allowed us into the home of Mariah Carey. I've never particularly liked her, but now, as a result of seeing this program, I actively dislike her.

This home she gave us a tour through is her three-story Manhattan apartment, which is a monument to self-gratification. One example: her shoe closet, which is nearly as large as the entire first floor of my home. Thousands of pairs of shoes displayed on row after row of oak shoe racks, each illuminated with recessed lighting. In showing this room, Mariah tried on several pairs for us, frequently admitting that she'd never worn a particular pair. Each time, her 'assistant' knelt down to help slip her foot into the shoe and then fasten it. Gag.

Her 'I'm-a-star-I-deserve-all-this' attitude as she flitted from room to room made me ill. This was an obscene display of tasteless excess. I can't help but wonder what a fixed-income, worked-all-his/her-life senior citizen would think of Mariah's shoe room.

But what the heck; maybe I'll become that self-centered once I win the lotto.

Nah.

Jon

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Haha! Does this thread have anything to do with her singing the national anthem? Or maybe the show decided to air it around this time. Not doggin ya, just curious.

Anyway I'm glad you mentioned that, I never new she was so snotty in real life. Mental yes, but not snotty.

Assistant for putting a shoe on! puuuhhh-leease

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

You're thinking of MTV Cribs. The show that taught us all that you're not a rapper till you own a copy of Scarface on DVD.

4. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

You are being MUCH too hard on poor Mariah. I have my assistants help me put my shoes on all the time! And my underpants too!

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Seeing her sing the anthem was what reminded me of the program.

And you're right, Matthew...it was Cribs on MTV.

Anyone else seen it?

Jon

6. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I have watched MTV Cribs a few times but the only house I remember paying any attention to was Snoop Dog's house.

I don't think the show is kewl unless you actually like the person (star) who's home they are showing.

Peace,

Eve

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes, but some are WEIRD about it. Mariah is one and Saturday Night Live have made a killing making fun of Destiny's Child's appearence on the show. "Gemini's Twin" sketches which started with their "Crib" appearence when J-Lo was on.
    Freaking hilarious.
    And let's keep in mind that Mariah DID NOT sing the anthem, she lip-sync'd it. Classy.
    "The acoustics would not be good for my voice."
    Yeah, Bono somehow was able to pull it off. Step aside freak. I'm not sure how pre-recording your voice is better in the dome than just singing live in the dome, acoustics wise.
    Reality needs to buy one of those child-leashes to keep attached to Mariah. [​IMG]

9. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

10. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I am Director of Production Services here at the Convention Center in New Orleans...all the press conferences were held here for the SuperBowl, among many other NFL functions...Mariah was here and let me tell you, she is a piece of work. Would not walk on anything but carpet. Asked that the room be cooled to 72 degrees. Would not drink any water unless it came from her assistant (she actually brought her own water with her)! Hid in the back hallway (on a small piece of carpet I might add), until her assistant said all was clear. She would not interface at all with the public in any way. If I remember correctly, these are the people who made her what she is....I've worked with more stars than most, and she tops them all. And then to boot, she lip-sync'd her part...yet, Bono, the most down to earth star I've ever met...said he was going to try something 'Different' and actually sing his own stuff!!! Gee, going out on a limb here,Bono?!?!

Just thought you guys would like to hear what I observed first hand....

My .02

TK

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Can you say "Imelda Marcos"?

Ugh. No, make that double-ugh.

12. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

13. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

It doesnt bother me what a person has, its there money they can buy what they want and however much of it they want. Personely I would not have that many shoes but I would probably own every dvd ever made, even the bad ones. BUT, I would not have an asistant to load the dvd into the damn machine like mariah had an assistant put on her shoes. What a nut! Some of these (not all) super rich or mega stars feel that they are better than the rest of us small people.

To be honest I liked her house, I would love to have the couch she has in her HT. But the award to austentatios living has to go to Master P, any of you see his house on MTV Cribs?

14. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Matt & Kelly,
    You forgot the most important part of being a rapper. You've got to have a bottle (or two) of Cristal in the 'fridge. And the "stripper pole" that Outkast had installed in their house was a nice touch [​IMG]
    Gary

15. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I can't say that I'm botherd by Mariah's lifestyle, if I had her bankroll this would be a thread about me.......

16. Anthony_D

Anthony_D Stunt Coordinator

it's not just mariah carey...it's the way the show glorifies a lifestyle of conspicuous consumption

99% of the viewers are never ever going to live in houses like the ones on Cribs...it is teaching kids to put an emphasis on material items for happiness which is WRONG

17. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Or, it's just a neat show that doesn't have to teach anything.

Mariah'd better enjoy it now-when you rely on your looks to get you fame, you'd better hope that your looks hold up. I think she's about that age when she's not got that "just out of college" look, and people are actually listening to her, and there ain't much there.

I saw it too. An assistant to put on a shoe? Ahh, good ol' bloated, egotistical, celebrity fueled God complex. She'll be nude in Playboy in 2 years. If she really bombs out, Penthouse. That's the only thing that makes me happy-irony loves celebrities.

18. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

19. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

When I fulfill my aspirations to become filthy stinking rich, you're going to see my house on MTV cribs one of these days.

20. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

I'll first admit I rarely watch MTV, so I don't know if they're promoting this yet. You may already know about it.

I saw a preview yesterday, of a show MTV is going to start soon about Ozzy, called "The Osbornes." It was absolutely hilarious. I will be watching it. They follow his family around, ala The Real World. There was so much funny stuff in it, I couldn't catch my breath.

It starts in a few weeks or so.