I saw Dead Alive for the first time.....HOLY TOLEDO!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RISUG, Oct 5, 2003.

1. RISUG

RISUG Stunt Coordinator

I've seen my fair share of dismemberments, disembowelments, and disgusting displays of all things gore....but now I've seen EVERYTHING. I was well aware of it's reputation for having mass quantities of gore, but even my most exaggerated guess would have fallen woefully short in face of how much there actually is....SHIZNITS!.

Evil Dead 1/2, Re-animator/Bride of Re-animator, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead - all these and more are titans of gore...but they all bow to the knee in the presence of Dead Alive.

Sustained raw gore the likes of which I've never seen before. Peter Jackson you have a brilliantly sick and twisted mind, and I love the way you think. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

To quote Severen, "It's a kick, ain't it?" [​IMG]

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

There was a musical version of Braindead (the NZ title) back in 1994. I never saw it, wish I had. It was an official production with Jackson's approval (I think Fran Walsh even wrote the lyrics), and apparently it stayed pretty close to the film.

They say the cleanup after the show was a nightmare.

Great film - but I especially love the opening.

4. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I would love for someone (Anchor Bay, hint hint) to get a hold of this movie and release a SE. Anyone know if anything is planned?

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I meant to see this but never have, I see it was on IFC a few weeks back. I'm looking for a good Halloween flick I guess this would rate, how is the DVD Release?

6. WillG

WillG Producer

You know, I've heard the legends of this movie being ultra gory and stuff like that, but usually when I hear similar legends for other movies like that, when I do see it, it usually pales in comparison to what is actually in the film. Can someone post some examples of what happens, in spoiler tags, of course

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena Stunt Coordinator

And of course when the infected grandmother shoots a blob of puss into her guests soup and watches them eat it.

When the reverend makes sweet zombie love to the decapitated nurse and out comes a freaky zombie baby.

When about a hundred people are torn apart and extremely gored by rampaging zombies in a house.

9. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

Ugh. Remind me never to read spoiler tags about gore while I'm eating lunch. [​IMG]

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Same here [​IMG]

--
    H

11. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

Did you saw the UNCUT version?

This is the cut one [​IMG] , available, where else?, only in America!

And those are the uncut ones:

The australian edition...
    [​IMG]

..and the spanish one!
    [​IMG]

12. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...it is a "Tore-de-Force"(sic) of GORE....[​IMG] (and you can quote that)

13. Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena Stunt Coordinator

I saw the uncut one, while this may be one of the goriest movies ever, it is by no means scary. It's to slapstick to be scary, much like Evil Dead 2 and Bad Taste. Nor is it the most disturbing movie I have seen.
    That award goes to Salo. [​IMG]
    (Terrible joke above)

14. RISUG

RISUG Stunt Coordinator

From what I know, there is approximately seven minutes of additional footage in the "uncut" version - most of which is plot development and a few sight gags. It's also been said that the American version (which is "unrated") is Peter Jackson's prefered presentation.

15. Sergio Martorel

The american version may be Peter´s prefrered presentation, but the UNCUT one is OUR favourite version.

Here´s what is cut:

Braindead opens with a closeup of the New Zealand flag, which then changes to the Queen riding accross a courtyard, finishing with a close up her on horseback. God Save The Queen is playing in the background. The opening sequence in Sumatra that begins Dead Alive follows.

At the mother's funeral, uncle Les is seen walking down the church isle and sits down behind Paquita. A conversation in which Les tries to hit on Paquita follows, which is unsuccessful. Paquita then stands up and sits away from Les.

After Lionel agrees to let Les have the money and the house, we see the music for the party get turned on and Void breaking free from his bonds. In Braindead a party guest lets Void out of the basement, and for his trouble gets headbutted.

During the party Void enters the living room and attacks a guest. Lionel intervenes by hitting Void around the head with a Jack Daniels bottle and then pours the contents down Voids throat.

After the Zombies have been let out of the basement, there is a short sequence where a guest with glasses is chased around a room by 2 zombies before he is finally caught and bitten. (In Dead Alive you can see the very end of this sequence just before the camera switches to Paquita stabbing a bag of tomatoes in the airing cupboard.)

After Lionel has bitten through the intestine and falls onto a zomies head, in Dead Alive we move onto Les killing zombie by "rolling" it to death in a clothes press. In Braindead Lionel is confronted by the vicar & nurse zombies who impail each other on a pitch fork and continue to have sex.

In Braindead there is approximately 16 seconds of extra gore in the lawnmower sequence where we see Lionel hack up numerous zombies, see the demise of the vicar and the nurse (whilst still in the middle of making love) and see Lional kicking body parts towards Paquita to be put into the food mixer.

Just before Lionel makes his entrance with the lawnmower, Paquita and friend (the one with glasses) are attacked by Voids legs (cut off in the bathroom scene) and a horde of zombies. Paquita and the girl grab a leg each and rip them apart. They then use these limbs to attack any zombie that comes near them.

In the original New Zealand release when the zombie baby first apears it attacks Lionel but is unsuccesful as its umbilical cord gets caught up on a nail.

16. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Is there anyone version available with all of the above scenes? I have only seen the American release....

17. Sergio Martorel

18. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Instant replay:

OK, but are these 2 disks the same except for the title?
    I had been under the impression that Dead Alive was cut, and Braindead was the uncut.

19. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I believe there are 2 versions of DEAD ALIVE here in America, the uncut version and believe it or not, an "R" rated version that I saw at blockbuster...

20. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

The one I have is Unrated, but we all know that doesn't necessarily mean Uncut, are either of the other 2 mentioned versions R1? or is there a known uncut release available in R1?