I saw Dave Brubeck Live

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob-Gr, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Rob-Gr

Rob-Gr Agent

About 6 months ago I saw Dave Brubeck Live. He is about 81 years old and I dont think he has ever sounded better. The guys he played with were spot on the whole night. The drummer was incredible, the bass player was superb, and the Sax player could have had his own band. It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. They did a 15 minute version of Take 5 to close the show. You could tell they all enjoyed playing with one another. Whenever one guy took a solo, the others would watch him play. Dave even got up from his piano to watch the drummer take a solo. If you get a chance to see Dave Brubeck, go see him. It was a pretty small venue, but it looked sold out or close to it. Just imagine the album Take 5 and multiply it by about 100 and you will have the concert. Dave mentioned he had a cd catalog of like 80 or 100. He mentioned an exact number, but I forget. This guy has been very productive for the last 60 years.
    Rob

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

That's cool, there's often something about great musicians that seems to continue, other occupations seem more prone to become obsolete, or the practicioners lose their edge earlier.

Not to take away from Dave Brubeck, but a few weeks ago Oscar Peterson performed live on a CBC TV show, and he and his combo were fantastic. If I hadn't been able to see, I would never have known that this pianist was playing with one hand, having suffered a stroke several years ago.

3. Chat C

Chat C Agent

I would love to one day see Dave Brubeck live, he is truly a legend.

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I missed seeing Dave Brubeck by a week this summer. My wife and I went on vacation to Traverse City, MI in early August. A week before we left on vacation I went to the Traverse City website and saw he was performing the week before. I wish I could have planned to see him.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I didn't know he was still touring, but will, without doubt, keep my eyes open. About the drummer, he always seemed to surround himself with great drummers. If you haven't already, check out Time Out, one of the greatest jazz recordings of all time, with drumming that is beyond description. Not necessarily the fastest, but tasteful as tasteful gets.