I saw a "Tank Girl" Laserdisc down town today. Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Tank Girl movie on Laserdisc? Any good? I could pick it up for $20.00 Canadian used.

2. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Chris, do you mean the LD or the movie itself? I have never owned the LD, but I have seen the movie and while I didn't care for it, you have to realize that it has more of a cult following. I think it was based on a comic book.

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Chris this is now out on DVD from MGM. You should be able to get it for the same price or lower as the Laserdisc.
    At DDD Tank Girl it is less then 14 bucks US shipped, and has an anamorphic transfer which will blow away anything on Laserdisc. This may be your best bet.
    J

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

It IS based on a comic book in the UK by Jamie Hewlett & Alan Martin.

good transfer, great music.

If you dont have a DVD player, get it, otherwise, get the DVD;

In an act of rebellion that would no doubt make TG herself proud, my new DVD

wont play on my SONY-reads an error of "dirt on disc" tho it is clean, and works on my old player. Go figure.

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Well I have the Tank Girl DVD and got it for $14.99 US and it has a great anamoprhic transfer and a kick ass DD 5.1 soundtrack. I could see no reason to get the LD over the DVD unless maybe you were in to DTS and found that version.

BTW I think this movie is Kick ASS with a really great sense of humor and made in a very comic book style.

It plays fine on Sony 9000ES DVD player.

Max

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If anyone cares, the Tank Girl LD has a dts Stereo mix on it. I wonder how that enhances the audio...

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Oh, ok then.

Could someone link me to the better "LD's not on DVD yet and probably not going to be in the near future" LINK? I want to go back there and see what they have. Mind you, they are old "once rentals", but if I find something really really good, it might be worth a try.

8. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

The DTS stereo on Tank Girl is merely a great sounding PCM track. It's just DTS' version of surround encoding and will be picked up by the Pro-Logic processor in the receiver. I've run across a few other discs that use non-Dolby 2 channel surround as well. Ultra-Sound is one if I recall correctly.

But if you run an optical cable to your receiver, it will not actually pick up on the signal as being 'DTS encoded'. Just a plain old, run-of-the-mill, great sounding PCM surround track.

I'd love to say the DVD is a total improvement, but my copy is a pixelly disaster. Not to mention that it will not start up on its own. The only way to access the film is to press buttons like mad and hope the menu pops up. GRRR!

9. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Sam, it sounds like you have a defective disc. My copy has been played on at least four different DVD players including my notebook computer's DVD-ROM drive, and I never had any problems with it.

Chris, the DVD should be found for $20.00. It's part of MGM's "Avant-Garde" series (I think that's what they call it) and they're pretty much all sold at the $20.00 price point. Buying a used Laserdisc at the same price as it's DVD counterpart is not very practical.

10. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, sorry I didn't make that clearer in my post. I don't want to stop others from picking up the DVD, as I'm sure I just got a bum copy. I'm actually hoping to go replace it this morning when I pick up Mad Max and Buckaroo Banzai.