What's new

I saw a DVD being played at the local multiplex (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
and it wasn't pretty.

Has anyone else experienced this? The local cinema chain has resorted to screening DVDs. I'm not sure why the distributors haven't frowned upon this practice.

is this the place to discuss this?

maybe it's because DVD piracy is so rampant, and legitimised by established B&M outlets, that they believe it's the only recourse to the situation.

what does one think of the situation? theatrical piracy?

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Studios are granting license agreement for DVD.

This past Xmas, we booked in for the holidays White Xmas, Wonderful Life, Top Gun, and U571 for a benefit run.

Due to the tight booking of the 35mm prints, I was offered a dvd license agreement for public display.

Dugger

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

Probably to you, myself, and eveyrone else here, yes. But to the average soccer mom and Joe Six Pack that would go a matinee at the local megaplex, they probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I was at the theater once and they had the projector matting wrong. To me, it was so completely obvious, but no one seemed to notice. I had to go complain to get it fixed.

Its just my experience that most average joes out there dont notice things like that.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what PJ and scaler they use: Every couple years some HTF members assemble in LA for the national meet and each time we have screened DVDs at Fox in the "little theater" which probably seats 75 or so-- and I would say if you're more than 10 rows back it really does resemble film.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
maybe it's because DVD piracy is so rampant, and legitimised by established B&M outlets, that they believe it's the only recourse to the situation.

Could you please explain to me how you feel video piracy is legitimised by established retailers? Thanks. :)

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,I think Chris means in Fiji. In other words bootlegs are available there in many stores. Correct me if I'm wrong. BTW Bula Chris . :D

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
that's interesting.
Yes, I am referring to Fiji (where pirate stores advertise in the national papers very openly). These aren't street hawkers etc. These are stores who will burn discs right in front of you.

The cinema is showing b-grade DVDs for low cost (unlicenced I assume), and raking in full admission revenue.

DVD menus galore onscreen.

hey Matt! Am writing from Shop 2 - check out the website!

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
My wife took some of her schoolkids to a local theater last year to see "Willy Wonka." I was sitting in the balcony and really enjoyed the flick... and was surprised how clean the print was.

Then the FBI warning popped up at the end. It was a DVD.

They must have a whale of a scaler at this theater. The picture was beautiful.

This is a very common practice in small theaters... I wondered myself about the licensing issue. Each kid paid to get in, so the owner was definitely making money.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
As long as the theater equipment can turn a standard DVD presentation into a pristine theater presentation, I don't see this as a problem as long as admission is no worse than a rental night. Besides, it's becoming more and more difficult to find decent prints of old movies. A DVD edition may be the best way to avoid the steady degradation of existing prints while still put on a great show.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
Jamie

Was that Willie Wonka presentation at the Alabama Theatre? They have a pretty decent Digital Projection system that I have seen used from time to time.

A couple of times a year the Alabama will book a silent film to live organ accompaniment and they use digital projection for these. I saw the silent Ben Hur this way. It looked pretty good, but not as good as a great standard projection.

Bill S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks