What's new

I saw a DualDisc at Starbucks last night with dvd-audio tracks. (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Sheryl Crow, Artists Choice Deluxe Edition

The label only mentioned it contained "high resolution" tracks that needed a dvd-audio player to play them.

I'm glad Universal still believes in hi-res (hopefully 96/24) but still wish it were not in DualDisc form.

BTW: for those not into the coffee scene, Starbucks has been stocking some pretty good music the past couple of years, so while you grab one of their awesome maple oatmeal scones (the burly pastry that eats like a meal :) ) afterwards you ought to take a look at their CD rack.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Hey Lance,

I think there was a thread at Hoffman's about this. IIRC, some were questioning if these were new transfers to 24/96 from the masters, or upconverts from 16/44 versions.

Brian

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Lance,

Other than Sony/BMG most of the other Dual Disc labels are putting out Hi-res. Warner and Universal are by far the two largest supporters. Actually Sony/BMG did put out a Hi-res Foo Fighters Dual Disc (this is the ultimate slap in the face to SACD).;)

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Going by Universal's past efforts, I can't see them doing something as cheesy as upconverting tracks; & if they did :frowning: hopefully they would indicate that somewhere on the label like they did on one of their Dualdiscs where it said 5.1 upmixing was performed (some James Bond updated music thing). Warner did that (wrote it out) with their Best Of REM dvd-audio where certain tracks were bumped up to 96/24 for "ease of production purposes" or something like that.

Just seeing the word "dvd-audio" in a non-audio retail environment was weird, but any exposure for hi-res can't hurt.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
IIRC that disc was already in the works before the Sony + BMG merger deal went through. BMG actually had some good dvd-audio titles but they're all gone now..........and what's much worse is that Alan Parson's stuff is on the Arista label, owned now by BMG (and now Sony) and we all know what that company has been doing lately surround-wise. :frowning: Alan said recently he might try to release them himself somehow, but he didn't elaborate.

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
Slightly off topic, but is the Sony-BMG merger and it's affects on Arista the reason we were never treated to a DVD-A of Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below??

That would just make me mad.

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that was the reason. A year ago I could only find a couple reviews of the Stankonia dvd-a but unfortunately (according to one of those rather sketchy reviews) the 5.1 mix was nothing special and implied it was more of an ambient mix. IMO for that type of music it needed an aggressive mix like N.E.R.D.'s dvd-a.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks