I saved a life last night!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean DeMass, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I feel real good this morning. I saved a life last night, a wonderful dog named Libby who would have been taken by animal control today and put to sleep.
    My aunt and uncle's neighbor was a local cop, but now he is sitting in jail for a couple of years. He had two wonderful dogs named Sandy and Libby. His ex-wife could only take Sandy because her landlord will only allow one pet. My aunt called me last night asking if I could take Libby in until we found a good home for her because if I didn't, Animal Control was going to pick her up and put her to sleep. Here is the reason why. These poor animals have been left outside in the yard since March. That's right, March. [​IMG]
    The Cop and his wife got divorced and he lost his job as a cop because he was charged with molesting a child. So he became a truck driver while waiting for his court date. So he basically lost his house and he was never home, so the dogs had to stay outside. His girlfriend came by a few times a day to take care of them. When I found this out, I was going to take Libby, but I had to wait until he was convicted because the man is a wacko. So I got the call last night and Libby is now staying at my house.
    So far things are OK. She gets along with my one dog, but her and my other dog are having a bit of friction. If they start getting along and if I can't find her a good home, I may keep her because she is such a good dog. I think it will just take awhile because it was such a drastic change for her. She came to a new house, with a new owner, and 2 other dogs. All three of them slept on my bed last night and they got along OK, but this morning before I came to work, the two of them were kind of growling at each other again. We will see what happens.
    All I know is I feel like I have done something really good and I hope to find a great home for Libby. She is only 4 years old and she could be a great companion for a family. I live in NW Indiana/Chicago area and if anyone here knows someone in my area that would love to have a wonderful dog, drop me an e-mail.
    -Dean-
    (edited to be more PC so certain individuals are not offended)

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Dean, those animals are probably alive because of you. Ya done good!

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Way to go, Dean. [​IMG] Good luck finding placement.
    Jon

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Good job Dean. I was wondering, is the dog that Libby is having troubles with also a female? I have a female Rottie and we tried to get another dog that was female and that led to all sorts of Alpha Female battles. We ended up giving away the newer dog.

6. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

All 3 are females. The one she is not getting along with is a pit-bull/boxer mix (Sable). What was weird was she actually took to Libby (she never takes to a new dog that comes in my house) but Libby didn't really take to her. I think Libby knows that she is the dominant dog in the house. Sable usually growls and barks at dogs that come in the house, but she was wagging her tail and being friendly with her. Even when Libby snapped at her, she didn't snap back. I think it is just a case of Libby getting used to the new environment. Dogs are very emotional animals and are very smart. Libby is going through a big change right now so we will see what happens.

-Dean-

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't understand, they were left outside, but were fed and cared for a couple times a day? they had food and fresh water?
    I mean, they're animals, generally in the wild animals live outside, was there some sort of neglect?

8. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Awesome job Dean [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My 1yr old English Bulldog also named "Libby" thanks you.
    [​IMG]
    She likes the remote [​IMG]

9. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter