I rode a Segway!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy Tennison, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I just got back from a Disney cruise, and on the boat, they offered to let customers ride a Segway (for a small fee, of course). So, I had to do it!

I loved it. Riding it was very intuitive. After the first 30 seconds of learning not to fight the machine, I rode it like an old pro. It was very easy. Lean forward, you go forward, lean back, you go back. Going forward, and want to stop, lean back. The machine compensates for the centrifical (sp?) forces, stopping you quickly, but not making you feel like you are going over the handle bars. A guick turn of the left grip turns you right or left. High speed turns were no problem. The machine really does compensate well. If you turn the grip without leaning, you can turn around 360 degrees very quickly.

All in all, I would love to own one of these things. I can think of many uses for it in industry. It is a very cool device!

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Awesome. I wish I had the chance to ride one of those things.

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Cool!!! I'm envious!

Matt

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Randy,

Did you go over any bumps/curbs or were you on a perfectly smooth surface?

5. Randy Tennison

Randy
    I was on a smooth surface. I understand that there is a learning curve for riding on rougher terrain (bumps, curbs, stairs, etc), but it shouldn't be that much more difficult than riding a scooter or bike over the same terrain.

I really tried to test the Segway's turning capability, but riding right toward the wall, and turning at the last moment. I was able to safely turn every time. I never once even bumped into the wall. That was very impressive to me. It showed me that the worries of running into someone were minimized, as long as the driver is aware of their surroundings.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

just think, maybe in a few years you'll be able tor ent one for the whole trip and cruise around the ship the whole time on it

7. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I'm still waiting for them to remodel all of the cities for them. [​IMG]

8. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I was reading the SF Chronicle about a group of elderly people who want the city of SF to ban them on sidewalks. Seems like they turned against them when during a demo to the group, one of the members got on it and plowed into a bunch of chairs and fell off or something. They group them turned militant, citing it as dangerous.
    I kinda think they should be allowed on city sidewalks, but just don't let idiots ride them... [​IMG]
    ahhh - here's the article

9. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Thats damn cool. I think one of those would be fun to ride on!

10. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I just got back from a disney cruise too. I was on the Disney Wonder last Thursday - Sunday morning? Was that the same one you were on Randy? Anyway, they were letting people ride them at Castaway Cay, the Disney owned island. I passed, but it looked fun.

11. Randy Tennison

Randy
    No, Charles, I was on the Disney Magic, for the 7 day cruise. Ahhh, relaxation!

I like the old folks. It's the Segway that's dangerous, not the rider. Typical knee jerking!

Now, if we want to talk truly dangerous, let's talk about seasoned citizens in their little motor scooters (Rascals, etc.). I've been bumped into more than once by a senior citizen who feels that they have the right of way which ever way they wish to go.

12. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Being a big Disney person myself (went on the Magic last year - no Segway's then [​IMG] ). I know exactly what you are talking about with the scooters. Why people on them think that in a packed crowd, everyone should part like the Red Sea for them is beyond me.

13. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    I saw a couple Disney Staff riding them at Downtown Disney in So. Cal about a month or so ago. It seemed like they were using them to get around down there. They were just slowly moving through the crowd like there was nothing out of the ordinary. Of course....people were staring at them as if they were looking at a UFO or something.

14. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Anyone know how long the battery on a Segway lasts and how far you can go? I think that would determine, for me, how much I would want one. I'm less likely to worry about mowing down old folks.

Actually, here in the City of Mountain View, the city council just sent a letter to the governor opposing Segways on the city sidewalks. Seems that we're concerned about mowing down blind folks. Mind you, I haven't seen any in Mountain View to mow down, but that's our city council for you.

-Peter

15. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

From Segway's site:

16. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    (shaking fist in air) You kids and your damn scooters!

17. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I think the segway would only be a danger to a blind person if they were the ones riding it. God, the paranoia of some people is amazing..

18. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

I'll be going on the Magic (3rd time!) in December. I'd like to try it.

When on the trip did you try it, and what was the $ deal?

Tony

19. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Well, if the Segway can really make 11 miles on a charge, that would be entirely practical. Keep in mind though, that comparing it to how much a person walks may not reflect how the Segway is used. If I had one, I might get around more with it than I do on foot now!

Sounds like they have a variety of batteries available. I guess we'll have to wait until they're generally available to gauge how well this all holds together. Still, I'm intrigued.

-Peter

20. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Too slow.. give me my bike anyday, plus I don't need to be charged for 6 hours every 11 miles [​IMG]
    Jay