I remember when she was just a little girl....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Danny Tse, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

It's Gary->dee's fault for starting that Lindsay Lohan thread. Maybe you guys are missing out on Charlotte Church, who I think is far more talented but underexposed....

[​IMG]

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yes, I can quite clearly see her "talents" [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. andrew markworthy

She lives quite near me. [​IMG]

An amusing little story about Ms Church. When she was 15 or so, she was having a row with her father, who said 'go to your room', to which she replied 'which one? they're all mine'.

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

LOL - the wonder of living with a child star....

She does have an amazing set of.... pipes. Her Christmas renditions are truly touching.

5. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Nice funbags.

6. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

My favorite concert of Charlotte’s was her “Voice of an Angel” performance when she was only 13.

It’s hard to believe that a 13-year old would be the featured soloist and be backed up by the London Symphony Orchestra and Choir, and the Welsh Choir Men of Harlech. Her DVD of that performance is still available:

"Voice of an Angel" DVD

When she reached 15 years old I was worried that she was turning into another fat opera singer. Wow was I wrong!

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. andrew markworthy

Naive question - to what extent are you guys in the USA exposed to Ms Church's antics? She is a staple item in the tabloids here - boyfriend troubles, taking up smoking, various shots of her on the beach in a bikini, all that sort of thing. Plus, if you have satellite TV in the UK, you can see her videos on the classical music channel with great regularity (at least one Charlotte Church, one Bond and one Vanessa Mae per hour - I love watching classical music).

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Andrew, you left out the most important part: the actual pics!

Mr. White Chocolate R. Jazz to the rescue. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. andrew markworthy

'Being a good church-goer' suddenly takes on a whole new meaning.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Hardly ever, as far as I can tell. I never hear anything about her.

Saturday Night Live took a jab at her last season, that's about all I remember.

13. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

Man I would love to ring the BELLS on that Church.

I would be like QUAZI MOTTO yelling "SANCTUARY, SANCTUARY"

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Maybe, but Lohan's prettier. Not that it matters to me, personally, with both of them below my half-and-seven and living far away.

15. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I've heard from time to time that she is royal bitch that would put any true opera diva to shame. Is that about how she is portrayed in the UK?

It's too bad she doesn't have the discipline to be a true opera star since they surely could use a big star. Oh well you can't blame her for taking the easy money.

16. andrew markworthy

Not really. Basically, she started off as the angelic-looking little girl with a good voice (personally I find her intonation far too 'plummy' but I know loads of people will disagree with this). Her initial audience was composed of the sort of person who finds sweet angelic children singing light classics and devotional songs appealing.

However, when puberty really kicked in, a rather different audience was attracted to her. I definitely don't approve of this, but there was supposedly a web site which offered a countdown until she was of legal age (16 in the UK, in case you're wondering). When she was 16, the media began to concentrate on not only her singing but her looks. It didn't help matters that she won the 'Rear of the Year' award when 16 [this is an annual Brit award to a female celebrity with what is judged to be the prettiest bottom]. She then got a boyfriend, was filmed cavorting around on a beach with him, and there is now a Brit media obsession with her social life. Given that she likes going to the beach a lot and tends to wear clothes that draw attention to her assets, the press photographers are having a field day.

Charlotte Church thus joins a small group of Brit women that seems to hold great fascination for our media (particularly the tabloid newspapers). Liz Hurley and Joanna Lumley are two other members of this group that are household names over here but I doubt are very well known in the USA.

17. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Liz Hurley is well-known in the US for being Hugh Grant's ex and the spokeswoman/model for Estee Lauder cosmetics.

Joanna Lumley should be known for her work on "Ab Fab"....but I know her from "The New Avengers".

18. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

I'm quite familiar with Elizabeth Hurley too. Mainly from films.

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I love liz hurley [​IMG]

20. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

The only Brit woman who gets regular attention in our media (tabloids) is that abomination, Jordan.