What's new

I really need some suggestions...please! (1 Viewer)

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Hi guys...hope you can give me some help with this. My problem is that I've got a full HT setup bar a TV! I've been living with a friend and have been using his TV for years so it gave me a chance to get all the other stuff. Well now we have to move out and we are going separate ways soo..i have no TV..aaahh! And it had to be in this fine month of November:angry:
I've managed to save $1000(aus)and my budget is around $1000 to $2000..no more. The thing i need help with is this. I have 2 options really. Brand wise i'm fine, in australia brands like LG,Sony and Phillips are all around the same price and give good quality so i'm going with one of these. Now, the 2 options are this-
1. 68cm Flat screen with DVD component or
2.66-72cm Flat screen 16:9 Widescreen with component.
Both of these types range from my price range. 72cm being on the $2000 mark. The 66cm WS seems fairly small compared to a 4:3 68cm so its being a hard choice. If you can give me any info on what the advantages etc would be it would be great. Thanks

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Is the Ashes being telecast in widescreen? Channel 9 did do some digital telecasting last summer that was widescreen and (if I remember correctly) allowed the viewer to select some different camera angles.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I heard that some ratios of weedscreen still show black bars at the top and bottom. The thing thats strange is that when i look at a 66cm ws, and a 68cm 4:3, the ws looks sooo tiny. Will i see much difference in the component input? I've never seen a dvd through it yet.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Brettis,
You will always get Black Bars on ratios like 2.35:1. But the size of them is greatly reduced.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Thanks Nick. But does the picture look bigger coz it fills the screen up more? Also, is the picture generally better with ws? Or just the same but diff aspect.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
The picture is the same witha widescreen or a non-widescreen tv depending ont he actual measurements of the tv. but many people perfer to look at a tv with smaller black bars.

When i bought my tv the choice was 36 in 4:3 tv or a 34" 16x9

what this meant was either way widescreen movies would be about the same size, but on the 36" i would ahve bigger black bars (but the same viewable area ie ignoring the black bars) however witht he 36" i get 60% more screen size for 4:3 material.

its your call both are good, btu i would take th ebigger widescreen, if i could ahve gotten a 38 or 40 inch widescreen i would ahve taken that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks