I really need some subwoofer help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Solar, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

May 12, 2001
    First off, I would like to thank you for any help or insight. I've decided in the next few months that I would like to build a subwoofer. So first off I need a driver. I was thinking a nice 15" sub. The tempest seems like a nice woof to use any opinions?
    This is my first real DYI project other than a pair of speakers I made when I was fifteen(I'm 20 now). I'm pretty good woodworking wise and my father has been a cabinet installer and a carpenter for about 30 years so the box design/build aspect is no problem. I can probably get all wood etc. for free. I've also built and installed my car audio system with great sucess. The hard part for me is calculations. I can do the math but I need the formulas.
    Performance wise what could I expect? I would like a ported design tuned to about 20hz or lower. What size port and box do I need if I were toget a tempest. I'm mostly interested for ht performance. my current system is as follows:
    32" jvc d-series TV
    paradigm reference 40's
    paradigm studio cc
    paradigm studio adp surrounds
    marantz sr-7000
    anthem mca-2 amp
    pioneer 5-disc dvd player
    dae-woo vcr
    and a energy microstar 12.1 for the bass
    the microstar is a great sub but low end performance isn't the best as it tends to roll off after about 25-30hz. it hits about 102-105 db at it max(servo circut prevents it). for music it is awesome though. power for the new sub is not a problem either as I can get marantz monoblocks at cost.
  2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Nov 6, 1999
    I'd suggest going to the Adire site and downloading the Tempest application files
  3. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

Jun 18, 2001
    yep, my tempest project is done by the book (Tempest Applications .pdf) it should all be done wednesday. ill keep you posted [​IMG]
  4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Jan 1, 1998
    I agree with Thomas and say to download the applications suggested by Adire. If you really want the low end performance I would shoot for the Adire alignment or EBS alignment.
    I have my Tempest in a 225L enclosure tuned to 19Hz. Be prepared, it will be a little larger than your Energy Microstar [​IMG]
    ------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70
    [Edited last by Kyle Richardson on July 29, 2001 at 11:50 PM]