I really need some help!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike boettner, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

alright guys and gals, heres the problem.....

on an impulse buy I bought a yamaha htr-5440, on clearence for $199( normaly $299 )

i have an old prologic only yamaha ($350 about 6 years ago) so i wanted to get DD/DTS. the wife agreeed that i could get a new recevier in a couple months( like a $500 one)with us saving a little each month for it. but now that i have the 5440 and have gotten a taste for DD/DTS i kinda dont want to take it back and have to wait months for a new one.

the main reason i would take it back is the stereo performance is not as good as my old yamaha. the DD/DTS performance is pretty good but it has a noticeable hiss in the surround channels which does bother me.

heres the question:should i take it back and go back to prologic for the next 8 months or so, or keep it and learn to like it?

2. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Why keep a component that offers lesser stereo (I assume you mean music) performance? Plus has hiss in the surrounds? I would not. Quiet surround rear channels are not hard to find (I assume you are referring to a realistic loud setting and from the sitting position--not cranked to the max with ears 1-2 feet from the speakers).

I would return that receiver and obtain a better one when ready.

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Mike, why dont you take it back and then sell your old Yamaha reciever on ebay.This could get you a pretty good unit now and not cost you any more money..Lots of good quality recievers in the 300.00 range if you are willing to buy on the internet, which I highly reccommend you do, if you want to save some greenbacks..thanks