What's new

I really need help on a good CD player...have had it with the one I use now (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'm really getting fed up with certain aspects of my Harman Kardon 8380 CD changer. At first, I thought of moving either my Adcom or Onkyo changers in from their other rooms to my main listening area, but have decided that maybe a new changer would be best. My system includes Klipsch Reference speakers, a Hsu sub, the Rotel 1066 pre-pro, and a Parasound 1205A power amp. The new CD doesn't have to have SACD as the new DVD players I'm eying have this feature.

The two that I'm most interested in now are the Sony 555ES and the Rega Planet 2000. I haven't yet heard the Rega, but did hear the Sony at Good Guys for quite a bit of time. It sounded very articulate and a bit on the bright side, but I can't be sure if it wasn't the Sony or the other components in the system causing the brightness. Anyway, after taming the Klipsch brightness with my Parasound and a Magenta ADE-24, I don't want to accentuate it now.

I do like the convenience of a 5 disc changer, but pure sound is really what I'm after. I like my CD's to sound as analog as possible and listen to everything from rock to bluegrass to country to classical to jazz.

Can anyone help me out with a choice here. Am I asking to much to want all the detail included in a player that also sounds warm and liquidy?

Any other players you'd suggest in the price range? Good Guys sells the Sony for $799 and I can get the Rega for $950 with a set of $200 Cardis interconnects (supposedly well matched to the player) tossed in or a display model for about $750.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dana, I love the 'C555ES, and I suggest you give it a listen in your home if possible. The Rega Planet 2000 will certainly give you an analog sound, but I do not care for its sound. For my tastes, it is too laid back. Too warm. The 'C555ES, on the other hand, is very dynamic with a lot of rythmic drive. It gives a layered and detailed sound without being bright. In the end, however, you should try to compare the 'C555ES and Rega Planet 2000.
Below is a list of other players I would demo if you can. Some may be cheaper than the Rega or 'C555ES, but they are good for the money. Note that I have not compared them all.
* Arcam DiVA CD72T and CD82T
* NAD C 541i
* Music Hall MMF CD25
* Rotel RCD-1070
* Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (only available through www.upscaleaudio.com ; a 24/192 upsampling board is available for an extra $300)
* Heart CD5000 and CD6000 (only available through Link Removed ; I haven't heard these players)
I have the Ah! player without the upsampling board in the same system as a 'C555ES. The 'C555ES is better, but I am holding onto the Ah! as I will probably add the upsampling board at some point.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Thanks a lot Keith. I really did like the 555ES. Its clarity, detail, and punch were all fantastic. Also, the build quality was very impressive. Do you know any places I can get one for cheaper than $799? I'll still consider the Rega, but need to audition one first and the nearest dealer is about 100 miles away. He did say he'd lower the price if I traveled that far, but I'm not sure its worth it. I will say I'm excited about looking into some of the other players you mentioned. Again thanks. Don't think that all the help you give to other members here at HTF goes unnoticed. You do seem to be the fountain of knowledge as far as CD players go.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Update:
Went to one of the local stores and auditioned the Arcam DIVA CD72T. Loved it more than words can express. Of course, they didn't have my other stuff to test it out on, but when he came down to $599 on a floor model that was out there only a couple of weeks with little usage, I had to buy it. Anyway, there's a thirty day return policy at the shop. Really a nice guy. Spent and hour and a half listening and enjoying his company. This is a VERY high end shop, full of 200 pound monoblocks and speakers that have to be 7 feet tall. And, here's poor beggar man me walking in and being treated like a king. It also comes in silver which matches my Rotel 1066, so I'm happy as a bird in a Magnolia tree on a sweet spring day. Thanks Keith for bringing it to my attention. ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dana, glad to help. The Arcam is a very good CD player. I have not compared it to the 'C555ES, but I have used it extensively at one dealer. I think you did well. Also, you lucked out finding such a helpful dealer. That is not common, unfortunately. The dealer may be high-end, but some people very simply are class acts.

Thanks for the kind words. I love this stuff and try to help where I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks