I really need a 50" plasma TV. Help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MichaelFresca, May 30, 2004.

1. MichaelFresca

Ok, I need a 50" plasma TV.
    I looked into various models, tried to find sales. But i came up short. I really need a push towards a certain model for my means.

I will be primarily watching DVDS & videos.
    I don't have cable or a satellite, but I may get it in the future.
    I am a big fan of film, and I have a very big dvd/vhs collection and I want to watch them in the best possible way.
    My budget is UP TO $5,000-$5,500.

Help!

It is much appreciated.

2. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the best HDTV plasma TV is the Pioneer Elite. I know that last year these sets were as high as $8,000. I know that this is far more expensive than you are looking for. So, my advise is to see if you can get a deal from a reputable seller on ebay. Even if the unit is slightly used or what is sometimes referred as "B-Stock".

But, I have to honestly say that there are HDTV projectors that are in the same price range that you are looking at and you can adjust the screen size to suit the current space that you are planning to watch the plasma. I myself am planning on getting the Panasonic PT-L500u which is around $2,000 and for the small living room space that I have, I will be ending up with a 106" widescreen!! And in the process you will save about $1,000 which you can use somewhere else in your system.

I hope that helps!

Robert Franklin
    Baltimore, MD

3. MichaelFresca

Eeek. I don't think I can handle a used TV.

The projection thing is an interesting idea.
    I just know its going to end up costing me more since i'll need to make a few changes to accomodate the space.
    And i'm sure i'll end up wanting to make a real home theater setup in my apartment.

Currently I have a 35 inch RCA tv from 10 years ago.
    I know i'll end up watching VHS on it since I hear VHS looks awful on plasma tvs.

Anyone know if VHS & DVD look good on LCD or projection?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Michael VHS won't look that great on any large screen TV as its a pretty low resolution format...its watchable but only just[​IMG] The 50" plasma's are very cool looking but honestly you're paying a premium over alternatives for that coolness factor. I'd keep your RCA for VHS and news shows etc and add a projector for movies and HD material. You really can't beat the impact a 100+ screen has and they're cheaper and easier to move as well.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would agree. A good HD projector can be had for around $2k (Panasonic L500U, Sanyo Z2). Add anothet $50 or so for a good DIY screen and you're well under budget and can have a screen of up to 110" or even larger depending on your setup and viewing distance. And nothing is thinner than a projection screen, it can even be painted directly on to the wall!

6. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I love how some people discount plasmas as a purely "cool" technology. They completely ignore the actual picture quality and benefits of plasma tvs. [​IMG]

The fact is that plasmas are the only technology that offers perfect viewing angles like a tube tv as well as what many people feel is the most life life picture technology available.

7. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Don't you get the viewing angels with FP?

8. MattDL

MattDL Auditioning

You don't need a HDTV plasma: current DVDs actually look best on EDTV plasmas, since no downsampling is required. You can easily get a 50" EDTV plasma for under $5k. I have noticed that this forum seems to be heavily biased towards front projection. I picked plasma over FP because:

I have a small viewing room where people routinely walk in front of the TV, and I don't want them casting shadows.

I didn't want to run cables from the DVD/VCR/tuner up the wall and across the ceiling to a projector.

I often have all the lights on in the room while watching TV, due to eating or paying bills while watching. All that light would wash out a FP image.

Projector fans can be loud, plasmas are silent (at least my Panasonic 42" is).

Colors are generally more vibrant on plasmas, since the light isn't being reflected and diffused before you see it like with FPs.

9. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I just wanted to note that I am not aware of any 50" ED plasmas. At least I know Panasonic doesn't make one and they clearly make the best ED plasmas out there. There 42" model with a 4000:1 contrast ratio is stunning for it's price.

I just bought a 42" Panasnic PX25/U and it's an HDTV. DVDs do look fantastic on it.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

A plasma is the right choice if light control is an issue. If you wish to watch your movies in the complete and total darkness along with television and can black out your room pretty much then a projector would fit the bill. If not and you have light control issues, then I would lean towards the Plasma. For ME, 42" was too small and at that point the price leaps up for the 50". Still at that price point you should be able to get a Panasonic for that. I'd get that over the Pioneer Elite due to the fact I prefer its contrast and overall Picture quality. NEC supposedly makes a good one as well but I haven't seen one. Fujitsu makes one too but I think their 50" is pretty pricey. If you can make due with a 42" instead, then you will probably save about $2,000.

If you wish to go the front projection route, I'd go with something better than the budget models being suggested here. At that price point I'd strongly consider the Benq 8700 DLP. I believe you can get one for about $4,200 or so and then get a screen and you are good to go for ~$5k. To me DLP's look better than LCD's and the upper end ones should make the only DLP issue(rainbows) be virtually gone if not totally gone.
    VHS will not look good. DVD as long as its a good dvd transfer will look rather stellar. LCD wise the main issue for some is the black level which is rather bleh(if you are used to CRT black levels), For some its acceptable but for me I prefer DLP's blacks and colors over LCD.

Another option is DLP Rear Projection. They are only 17" deep and the PQ is pretty solid. I would have gone that route if I didn't decide to go with CRT Rear Projection instead. $1,700 for a 55" Mitsubishi Rear Projection is a steal when you consider the other options.

11. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

A HD plasma still blows away an ED plasma using DVD.
    No such thing as a 50" ED plasma.