I really love the *Getz/Gilberto* SACD! Great music! Great sound!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jan 4, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Perhaps the music is a bit campy or whatever, but I am really loving the Getz/Gilberto SACD! If you don't have it, run over to Best Buy and pick it up for $14.99. It's a winner. The only bummer is that it is a single-layer disc, so you can only play it on an SACD player. "The Girl From Ipanema" has become so thoroughly engrained in my mind, that I had to get the CD so I can hear it in the car and office. I bought the CD this evening and have briefly compared it to the SACD. The SACD wins hands down. Joao and Astrud Gilberto's vocals are closed in on the CD in comparison to the SACD, and Getz's sax is more "breathy" and "gravely" on the SACD. I will use the CD for non-critical listening in the car and office, but the CD will not be used at home. [​IMG]

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I've got you beat Keith![​IMG] I have the album in three formats now. "campy", what? It sure wasn't campy when it came out, but maybe it seems like it to you in this day and age? GFI has vitually become the stereotype of Brazilian jazz, maybe? To me, the Brazilian sound is the coolest. Bring on some Jobim and more Manfredo Fest por favor! Best wishes![​IMG]

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, I was just being sarcastic with the campy comment. Believe me, I love this album. If it weren't for the SACD, I'd probably have more version of Getz/Gilberto. For example, I'd probably track down the MFSL gold CD if there were no SACD. However, I am not about to pay $40+ for a disc that does not sound as good as the SACD. What I would like to find is the original Verve CD. I read on Steve Hoffman's forum recently that many versions of Getz/Gilberto, including the SACD, current remastered CD, and MFSL gold CD, have the imaging reversed. For example, note that on "The Girl From Ipanema" on the SACD, Astrud Gilberto's vocals come from the right channel. On the original analog master tape, her vocals come from the left channel. Apparently, the original Verve CD has the correct spacial imaging.

4. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, the album title is Getz/Gilberto. Stan Getz partnered with Joao Gilberto on this album. Joao Gilberto's wife, Astrud Gilberto, also appears on the album. Astrud provides the seductive female vocals on "The Girl From Ipanema". Here is a picture of the album cover so you know what to look for:
    [c][​IMG][/c]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

7. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

The Getz/Gilberto SACD was on my list when I recently visited the Lincoln Center Tower Records, but they were out of stock. I'll check a local Best Buy or order online.

Another Universal SACD I found to be quite good is Steve Earle's Guitar Town.

8. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Thank you Keith for the info. This looks like a SACD I must buy soon.

Steve Earle's Guitar Town looks good also.

9. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keith,

I picked this one up about two weeks ago and love it as well. It appears that the Verve SACD's are turning out to be winners in the sound department. The Coltrane "A Love Supreme" is another winner as well. Impresssive. I needed a few winners on SACD after the Quincy Jones and Karajan Beethoven ninth duds. I also last week picked up the Sony multi-channel Alexander Nevsky/Mussorgsky Picures at an Exhibition SACD at Fry's for $15.99. For a 1961 recording, it is very impressive and sounds better than the George Szell performances from the same period. This is my favorite all-time film score so it was a must for me.

Reg

btw- I switched the multi-channel outputs cables from the Denon 1600 to the SCD-C222es so I could hear multi-channel SACD for the first time. It is fine, but I still tend to prefer DVD-A for multi-channel. In all fairness, I don't have many multi-channel SACD's, which is the reason why I never used it for multi-channel from the start. Hopefully, CES will give us some insight into what future players/receivers will be firewire ready so I won't have to go out and buy switchboxes from Radio Shack.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe,

No problem. Glad to help. If you get the Getz/Gilberto SACD, let us know how you like it.

All,

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but how would you descirbe Steve Earle's music? I am not familiar with his works. Thanks in advance.

Reggie,

I picked up the Coltrane A Love Supreme SACD on New Year's Day and am very impressed with it. It beats the "Desert Island Discs" remastered CD. I don't have the Deluxe Edition CD yet, but from what I have read, disc one (the actual album) sounds the same as the Desert Island Discs remaster. Anyway, the SACD is great. I am also very happy with the Diana Krall When I look in your eyes SACD.

Glad to hear you got a chance to demo multi-channel SACD. I really have no preference when it comes to multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio. It depends on the disc. I still greatly prefer stereo.

I think you should buy two Radio Shack switch boxes for around $30 to handle both multi-channel formats with your '1600 and 'C222ES. Unless you are unhappy with one or both of these components, I'd get the Radio Shack switch boxes before buying a universal player. At this point, I'm not sure that any of the universal players get everything right. The Yamaha DVD-S2300 looks to be promising on the video side, but I'm not sure how it might perform on the audio side.

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, I'll be shocked when I hear a Multi-combi DVD-V/A/SACD/MP-3/CR-R/VCD/ect, ect, ect, that does SACD and CD as well as the 555, much-less the 777....[​IMG] ! OK, the 555 is beatable but the 777 is a toughie. The best sounding combi-player I've heard do DVD-A is the DV-AX10. It's SACD playback can't touch the 555, come to think of it proably can't touch the 222's.
    I think I don't like the trend of universal players at this point. I'm imagining a dreary future, run by terminator machines, where there's little else to buy and lots of burned out buildings and skulls and smoldering cars. Kind'a like out of Robocop. I started a thread about it lately but it didn't garner many reponses. I used to want a universal player but now I'm cool on 'em.
    Then, again, I think DVD-A should have dedicated players. Better, more versitile software wouldn't hurt either. Reggie, I don't think DVD-A sounds better than SACD for multi-channel. There is plenty of M/C SACD stuff too. I must have 40 or more titles, easily, maybe 50.
    Reggie, I aggree with you about the Universal SACD's. The Quincy Jones disc is an atomic dud![​IMG] I compared common tracks from THE DUDE and EVERYTHING MUST CHANGE vinyl. VINYL rulz! It's not even close. QJ's SACD sounds like it's recorded using special burlap filters...it's pathetic and it's all the cuts, not just some. I bought about 6 Universal SACD's in the past two weeks. QJ's is the only dud in my lot. Best wishes dudes!
    [​IMG]

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

13. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

14. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Mike,

The Prokofiev/Mussorgsky was released on SACD just about two-three months ago. It is definitely worth picking up if you can find it at a good price. It does appear to sound better than Sony's other classical offerings on SACD from the same period (1961). The performance is conducted by Thomas Schippers of the New York Philharmonic. You get two great classical renderings on one disc, so this was a no-brainer for me. Nevsky runs 40 minutes and "Pictures" runs 34 minutes. I have a performance of Nevsky on redbook CD which I like a little better than the one on the SACD. The CD I'm talking about is a 1993 performance by the St. Petersburg Philharmonic that runs ten minutes longer than the performance on the SACD. It is a RCA/BMG red seal release so it is sonically impressive for redbook, eventhough it still isn't up to SACD standards. I would also try to track this one down if you can.

Keith,

I might take your advice and get the switchers. After CES next week, I will know which direction I will be heading in terms of audio upgrades. As I said a few weeks ago, I held off buying the Denon AVR-3803 for Christmas because of the recent firewire announcement. I would hate to buy a 3803 and two months later Denon releases a 3803i, or heaven forbid, a 3804. Denon makes great audio components, but we will definitely have to see how they do with SACD players as they have never released one before. I am happy with the Denon 1600 and SCD-C222es for now - bass management issues aside, so the switch boxes are likely in my future. Anyway, I am constantly reminded that both formats were designed from the start to be used with full range speakers, which of course, isn't practical to many of us who have to pay rent, house mortage, car loans, etc. I would love nothing more than to have six Paradigm Studio 100's but I don't have the space or funds for this.

Reg

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael,
    The apocalypse may already be upon us with respect to available straight SACD/CD players. Sony has phased out some great players and has not yet issued replacements. Perhaps we not far off from having just one SACD player available. It will be an $80 unit from "Busted Buy". [​IMG]
    Mike said:

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Keith, did you do any testing of the transparency of the RShack switchboxes? I debated long and hard before adding an ICBM to my system (it has thusfar surpassed all my expectations and I hear absolutely no loss of detail), but I'm concerned that these switchboxes aren't so nicely made (do they even have gold connectors?).

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rich, I did compare the sound quality with and without the Radio Shack switchboxes and detected no difference. Frankly, I don't recall if they have gold-plated RCA connectors, but at $15 per switchbox, I doubt it. I am not in that room to check right now.

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Reggie, thanks for the info. I shall be purchasing this.

I swear, I've got to stop complaining about the lack of SACD titles. There are still too many out there for me to get.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike said:

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I guess I got a late-start, but my SACD "to buy" list just keeps growing and growing. I've all but given up buying DVDs to support my SACD habit.