I really Love my Martin Logans...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Campbell, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

is what I would be saying If I could afford them!!! I was just on their site. I love their products but, $14,000 a piece for the Prodigy's? Anyone who can afford that is working to hard and is not home enough to enjoy them. but they are gorgeous!

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

You still can love your MLs. Just get a pair of Aeon's or hop over to eBay and get some Aerius i's or SL3's. I haven't heard the Aeon's but the Aerius and SL3's are wonderful speakers that I could very happily live with. Some day I intend to replace my Maggies with ML's.

3. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Tim,

Last time I checked, the Prodigy's were $10,000 per pair. I had heard that they had gone up some, but not more than double. Regardless, the Ascents are significantly less and incorporate the majority of the performance of their bigger brothers.

4. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

Start with a used pair, from Audiogon or another site, or pick up a pair when they become obsolete. I bought a pair of reQuests last year when they discontinued them, and couldn't be happier. CEO? No, I just work my butt off and believe on rewarding myself once in awhile!

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

if you like ML's sound give magnepan's a listen. They have speakers starting as low as $550 direct from magnepan with a 60 day full refund policy.

6. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Magnepan sounds nothing like Martin Logans. It does not have that discontinuity between the mid and woofer. It does not have overbearing bass.

7. myke

myke Extra

I love my martin logans [​IMG]
    After auditioning the Scenarios, Aeons, and Ascents at local dealers, I ended up buying a pair of used Aerius is from Audiogon. The scenarios were the only ones I could afford new, but they sound nothing like the more expensive speakers. The Aerius is sound fantastic, every bit as good as the Aeons/Ascents.
    We auditioned the Prodigys also. Amazing! I hope I can afford a pair someday, but I'm really enjoying the Aerius is right now!.

8. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The Prodigys are NOT $28,000 pr.! They are $10,000 pr. If you really like Martin Logans, the Odyssey is $6,000 pr. and sound better than the Prodigys in my opinion. You will need some nice electronics to go with them, as Martin Logans are very revealing.

9. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

10. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Ling,
    you need to get out more,
    CLS's are a full range panel with no cross over... and no one who has ever heard a pair would ever accuse them of overbearing bass [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Miles,

Nobody here are talking about the CLS II, and it is probably one of its least popular model. Anybody who wants full range ESL probably goes for Sound Labs.

12. myke

myke Extra

I love my martin logans [​IMG]

After auditioning the Scenarios, Aeons, and Ascents at local dealers, I ended up buying a pair of used Aerius is from Audiogon. The scenarios were the only ones I could afford new, but they sound nothing like the more expensive speakers. The Aerius is sound fantastic, every bit as good as the Aeons/Ascents.

We auditioned the Prodigys also. Amazing! I hope I can afford a pair someday, but I'm really enjoying the Aerius is right now![/u].

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

2 days ago I auditioned Odysseys for an hour in a dedicated HT. They were powered by two $6000 Mark Levinson mono blocks.

To me, the highs sounded synthetic and smooth. It must due to my being used to hearing horn tweeters and harsher highs in car audio. The bass was clean and tight, but not hard hitting like a dedicated separate subwoofer.

The music had excellent separation, I could effortlessly focus on different components of music and focus on each part of the soundstage. The vocals were unbelievably realistic, nothing like i've ever heard.

I'd expect the craftsmanship to be a bit better and would like to see the price drop to a more affordable level. It would also be nice to see some ML bookshelf size wall mountable MLs and speakers in the $500-2000 range.

14. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Deleted
    I thought better of it [​IMG]

15. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

C'mon Miles, penny for your thoughts... If only I could hear them over all that overbearing bass...... [​IMG]
    BTW, did you hear back from Ken on that turntable....? Sorry for my procrastination......
    Herb.

16. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Herb,

I haven't I think Ken sold the turntable already, thanks for the follwo up though...

I would like to fire a quick broadside against all the ML detractor's but frankly I don't want to squabble... everyone is entitled to their opinions... I just dislike the blanket statement about overbearing bass and woofer panel discontinunity... Plus Soundlabs as great as they probably are are not in everyones snack bracket!!!