What's new

I read locked threads. Does that make me a bad person? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I confess, if I see a little padlock icon, I read the thread. The title could be, "Things DaveF has absolutely no interest in" but if it's locked, I'd read it. I take perverse amusement in watching the trainwreck unfold, leading to the "This thread closed" pronouncement.

If Ron & Parker want to make sure I read a thread, skip the "ANNOUNCEMENT" text and sticky icon; don't place it at the top of the form. Rather, give it a mundane title, a fictional post count to span a few pages, and lock it. I'll read it.

Does this make me a bad person? Am I a moral degenerate for taking pleasure in other members' locks?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well it's akin to slowing down at a road accident to get a better look.;)

With After Hours such a crashing bore (to me) in recent years, the few closed threads it offers up is the only bit of excitement to be had, of course most of the time even the closed threads turn out to be yawnworthy too.:D

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
I do the same thing.

Many years ago someone, I think it was Steve Goodman, wrote the "Perfect Country and Western Song," that contained every C&W cliche.

This thread makes me think of what would be the "Perfect HTF Locked Thread."

I think it would be about a political, chauvanistic, male smoker, who loves and has lots of kids, and makes TV commercials about cars, cats, and sun roofs.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I usually skip right to the final post to find out why the thread was closed, then go back and read the ones that were closed for non-boring reasons. :)

And yes, you are a bad person. :D

Joe

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
So what are "Things that DaveF has absolutely no interest in"? I might just start a controversial thread that gets locked down which will FORCE you to read the things you have no absolutely no interest in, DaveF!

MUWAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! :D

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, you
can get a pretty good feel for what is and isn't
acceptable to the moderators, and also you can get
a feel for who are and aren't the best people to
respond to or to argue with.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I do this. It's also really disappointing when you go into a late-thread and see that it was closed for some boring reason, like for nstance because someone already started a similar topic.

I say to myself "Damn! I was really looking foreward to reading a good fight!" :D :b

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'm always upset when it turns out the thread was closed due to redundancy or some other innocuous reason. It's a real downer.

What's even worse is when I delete a bunch of emails from a subscibed thread without reading them and then go to HTF to find posts deleted or the thread completely gone. Oh the humanity!

You do realize that fate requires this thread ultimately go terribly wrong and end up locked don't you? :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Things I don't care about: silica, helping people with their homework, and Tom Green movies. Put those in a thread, get it locked, and I'll be impressed (and probably read it, while cursing you under my breath).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Then maybe more people will read it cause I'm sure that there are people waiting for this to be locked before they read it...and wished that they had posted.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As to whether reading locked threads makes one a "bad person," the answer would be yes. And we're all bad people here, so that's the answer to the question. No need to lock the thread as of now.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hey, Jack, how about a wink smilie or something, you sounded deadly serious. Without a wink, i'll continue to feel like shit all night. :frowning: ;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I feel like i just got busted, a deer caught in the head lights. I read locked threads, go right to the end and see what went wrong. Then i back up. But that is just as sad is me reading a thread about guys who read locked threads. I need a group hug.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hmmm...maybe we could experiment with this thread and see what the "locking point" is with mods. :D

Let's see...what shall the first salvo be?

I love cats, so I can't pick on them...

There is already a thread hammering on Michael Jackson...

Oooh! Oooh! What if I say that "2001" was a crappy movie? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks