What's new

I ran out of oil, anything special I need to know? (1 Viewer)

Bob Sheen

Stunt Coordinator
I ran my dad's 75 Plymouth Duster without checking the oil until it was dry one day. I was wondering why the motor was running hot and it had no power one night. Then it stopped and never started again. The motor was seized and i was a 16 year old in "BIG" trouble.

Bob

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
This is why I have friends to come over and hit me in the head and help me with things like this, and in exchange, I fix their computers.

Cars don't make sense to me, or interest me in the slightest, so I leave it to people who it does.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, there's nothing quite like the thrill of appreciating a true statement of the internal combustion arts. The Aprilia RSV Mille, for example. Or the Honda CBR959RR. Or the Suzuki GSX-R1000R. Few finer things have ever been crafted by the hand of humankind. Paradigm-shifters, all. Great machines. (And their owners change the oil every thousand miles.) :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
OMG you didn't put the mille in the same category with a 954? and a GSXR? that's like putting a honda civic next to a 911 turbo :)
BTW: I owned a 954 on the straights on the track, they're kinda slow for an inline literbike
as an odd side note, the big aprilia twins go through oil pretty fast, I'm topping off pretty frequently.. something do do with the compression and vapors or something, beats me.

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
Blinker Fluid. Do not, under ANY circumstances, allow your blinker fluid to run low. If you do nothing else, go check your blinker fluid. Go, do it, now.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I had my oil pump fail in my last vehicle. I was going about 70 mph when it happened. Needless to say, my engine was making a horrific noise, and it had to be replaced. What made it even crappier was that it happened out of warranty. :angry:
-Dean-

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
good luck with ford.
a buddy of mine leased a new cougar V6 when they first came out. In the year he owned it they blew 2 or 3 engines, had a total electrical failure, and dumped the coolant out a couple times I think. The car was in the shop for probably 8 months of that 12, and 3 or so of their loaner vehicles also had some problems on them. He pretty much had to sue ford to get his lease money back I think :frowning: (and he had every right too IMO)
I don't think ford's products are THAT bad, he's certainly an exception, but ford handled it VERY poorly. After the first engine went they actually told him "this NEVER happens, oh BTW we're backordered on engines"
luckily everything worked out and he's driving a kickass car now :)

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Question:
How come my Van misfired like hell when I lost all my oil? Tell ya what happened. We were shopping in Wal Mart for a bit. Went out to my Van to go home. Started it up. Everything's ok. I pulled out on the street then to the Red light to make a right to go home. When I got out on the street, I slipped a little. THAT's probably when the oil pressure sensor broke. 1 mile down the road, I was loosing power and my engine was making horrible knocking noises. My brother's in the back going, "Uh, it don't sound right" Then I started to pull over and it died. We flipped up the driver's seat and checked the oil. NO OIL! So, my dad was wondering if we should go park it at Baker's Corner (mom and pop Gas Station). So, I was able to start it back up, flipped on my hazards and didn't go above 25 MPH. COULDN'T go above 25. We parked it there, bought 4 quarts of oil. Poured it in. Started it. Guess what. All drained on the ground. So, we called mom and had her pick us up. We called the place who rebuilt our engine. Since it was still under Warranty (30 days HAR HAR!!) they came a couple days later with the flat bed truck and towed it back to the shop. I was so worried it would be fucked up. They replaced the oil sensor and said it still runs. I was relieved. The following week, we went up there, picked it up, stopped at the Wal Mart up there and picked up a pair of 2 Way Radios and I drove it back home with no problems. The place who rebuilt the engine is Uhlman Toyota up in Chehalis Washington. I live way down in Skamokawa. So, it's a good 72 miles from here. RIght now, I'm kinda pissed at Uhlman because they disabled my cruise control when they rebuilt the engine. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

ShaneH

Stunt Coordinator
Buzz, is there any chance the place you took your vehicle to would have records? I would think most do.
Heres something I was thinking about let me know what you guys think. In the long run (15+ years) do you think it is cheaper to buy a toyota/honda/nissan? Sure a ford/chevy is cheaper up front but then you have to live with the cheaper parts that they put into their vehicles and more frequent repairs. I know that any given vehicle can have problems it just seems the american cars are leading in this area. I read in another post a while back that ford/chev (not sure which one), did a study to see what would be more cost effective: putting more of their money into better quality parts, or keeping the money in advertising. Needless to say it wasnt in the better quality parts. When I read this I really got pissed off. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of these cars, Ford especially, and I have my reasons mainly because of the local ford dealership. If you're a fan of ford/chev for your own reasons good, these are just my opinions and was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this issue.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't give up my Toyota Van for anything. If a guy told me, "Your Van or your life" I'd tell him to **** off and grab something to whack him with. LOL Probably never happen. A lot of people, who've never driven a Toyota Van don't really want one either. If they've ever driven a Toyota Van, they'd know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the way the steering is SUPPOSED to be, IMO. Under yer ass for better manuverability. Most of the Toyota Van owners out there LOVE their Toyota Vans. Including myself. I plan on getting a bunch of other stuff fixed on it. Some body work, new stereo system. I want it to look as new as it did when it was driven off the show room floor. That day will come someday. I also need my A/C fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks