I-rail for curtains?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sami Kallio, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I'm looking for some I-rail to hang my blackout lining from the ceiling. Seems like hard to get hardware in the US, I got clips already for it but didn't want to fly overseas with the bars. Any ideas where to look?

I need to put about 25ft of blackout lining to cover all the light sources. My video source is a CRT projector so this is very important to get the best possible viewing experience, getting long enough curtain rail has been unsuccessful so far in the US.

- Sami

2. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Sami-- I suspect you're not getting much help on this one, because we've never heard of an "I-rail". I actually did a googlesearch, just to see what you're talking about, but I came up pretty empty handed (except for one guy who used two 5-foot sections of "I-rail" to make a rocket launch pad... unfortunately, he didn't show a picture of the thing).

Take a look here:
    http://www.pans.com.hk/i-rail-index.htm
    Are any of these styles what you are looking for?? The only thing I see that looks like an "I" is the picture above "ball-bearing."

Also, since it sounds like this is a British term (is that right?), if we have it here in the States, there's a good chance we call it something else. For example, apparently the Brits call it a "curtain rail," but it's usually referred to as a "curtain rod" here. We also have what we call a "traverse rod," which is a specific type of curtain rod that allows you to pull the drapes open/closed with a cord.

3. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Thanks Mike! That's actually what I was looking for, the one that says Ball Bearing I. Unfortunately finding that rail hasn't been succesfull. I guess I need to call my dad and have him send some by mail.

The problem with traverse rod is that I can't seem to find anything long enough and you can't really shape it. I need to bend a 90 degree angle to get the curtain across the room.