What's new

I questioned Panasonic re: Bass Management on DVD-A discs on CP-72 (1 Viewer)

Bruce R.

Auditioning
Several weeks ago, I purchased a CP-72 from CC for $209 before the $30 rebate(talk to a manager and haggle with them, tell them you can get it lower on-line and see what they'll do for you). Anyways, I recently bought my first DVD-A disc and I was fiddling with the speaker options for analog output. I have a Denon 3803 which does all of my DD and DTS decoding so I would only send a DVD-A disc through the analog outs on the Panny. I noticed that you can select large or small for the front, center and rear speakers as well as subwoofer yes or no. Although this has been discussed before, I decided to contact Panasonic as to whether these settings affect DVD-A discs or only affected the outputs when using the CP-72 to decode DD or DTS material (I also had a question regarding the Zoom function). Here is what they said.

To Technical Support/Product Engineering:

I recently purchased a CP-72 5 disc DVD changer that is really an outstanding value and performer for the money. I have a question regarding setting up speaker size for DVD Audio listening. My speaker set up consists of 5 small satellites and a subwoofer. It seems to me that going into the audio set up menu and changing the speaker size for the front/center/rear speakers will affect the 6 channel analog output sent to my receiver's external 6 channel input. My question is as follows: I only use the 6 channel analog output for DVD Audio playback, not DD or DTS encoded discs. Does the CP-72 send 5 full range signals plus the subwoofer if all of the speakers (front/center/rear) are set to small (thereby ignoring speaker size selection) or is some type of crossover engaged to route signals below 100Hz or 80Hz to the subwoofer channel therefore providing some bass management capability? If the answer is yes, what is the crossover frequency and does it work on the front, center, rear or all of the above? If the answer is no, does the speaker size selection only work when using the DVD player for DD and DTS decoding purposes?

I also have a 2nd question regarding the zoom feature. First off, let me say that it is superb in its operation as it doesn't soften the picture at all (unlike my old Toshiba, which was very good). However, I played Titanic DVD which is a 2.35 to 1 transfer and the Zoom wouldn't work at all on this particular disc. It worked on every other disc I tried including other ones with the same aspect ratio. Is it possible that some discs won't allow the zoom feature to work?

Thanks in advance for your timely response and for offering such a superb product at such a reasonable price.

Bruce Roth

Dear Mr. Roth,

We have received some information regarding your inquiry and want to share this information with you. Regarding the Zoom feature, like numerous other features of DVD titles such as fast forward, skip and others, the author can control what features will be made available to the user. So it is up to the individual disc to allow a particular feature like zoom to function. Also, the user manual has a small note below the Zoom explanation on page 15. * Depending on the video format and current play status, this feature may not work as described.
As for the bass management performance, we are requesting more details regarding specific crossover frequencies or bandwidth compression, however, yes the ‘Small/Large” speaker selection does route more of the low frequencies to the subwoofer when used with speakers that can not handle full 20 – 20kHz frequencies (ie. small satellite speakers) .

We will provide further information as soon as it becomes available to us, thank you for you patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Panasonic Customer Call Center

Panasonic Customer Products 22

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Bruce, Thanks. Could you provide a link. I have sveral questions regarding my RP-82?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info, Bruce. Could you please keep us posted when Panasonic sends more info??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks