I.Q. - Player Lockups!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John H Ross, Sep 17, 2003.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Hi,

A week ago I watched "Road To Perdition" (DTS) again and, for the first time, my player (an R2 Sony 7700 chipped to play R1 discs) locked briefly just before the layer change.

Tonight I watched the new "I.Q." disc and it locked 3 times during the movie. Between the two events I watched five "Man From UNCLE" movies (R2 DVD) and Identity (R1) without any problems.

Do you think my player is on the fritz? Could the laser need realligning (via the service menu) or do you recommend one of those lens cleaner things? Do you know what might be causing this? Surely it's not the discs (both play flawlessly on my PC).

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me!

Thanks,

John

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

All I can say is that I was able to play I.Q. just fine myself (good flick). Of course, none of my players are Sony-branded, so perhaps it's the player firmware rather than your specific player. Or maybe your device just can use a cleaning (although many lens-cleaners on the market can hurt more than they help...be sure to search around in the hardware section for threads on this subject before choosing a laser device cleaner).

3. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Greetings all,

Further to my messages above, I replaced my DVD of "I.Q." (Region 1) at Amazon and the replacement disc also freezes briefly in exactly the same 3 spots :-(

It appears there's something wrong with this title. Has anybody else experienced problems (especially those with Sony players)?

John

4. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    I have a Sony 7700 and have not experienced these lockups on IQ. Perhaps you can enter the hidden service menu of the player and realign the DVD laser. There is an option do to that. Use the disc that is giving you trouble on the realignment and see if that makes it play better.

To enter the service menu:

With the machine turned off on standby, press the following 3 buttons on the handset, in order: TITLE CLEAR POWER. The menu will come up on the TV. Select the appropriate button number for "auto adjust". The machine basically does it all. It asks you to select either a single layer or double layer disc (whatever your offending disc is.) Ejects the tray, asks you to put your disc in and then calibrates it. (It's over in about half a second... It then asks you to press a few more buttons, and then it's all over.

5. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Thanks Brian, but I already tried that :-( I make it a policy not to re-allign the laser on suspect discs because, if the laser is correctly set for that particular disc, and the disc turns out to be faulty, then the laser could end up being thrown right off whack. It's happened to me before on an earlier machine...

I can't believe that 2 different discs could jam in exactly the same place if it's purely the player's fault. Grrrrr. Perhaps I should try R2.

John

6. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Could this be a R1 disc with regional enhancement? There is some additional coding on these discs that is known to cause trouble with R0 players and unknown results with mods.

You need to try your disc on another player and see if it has the same problems. It could be a player/disc combination problem.

John