I purchased the Sharp XV-Z9000U I need some advise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff_john, Nov 10, 2001.

1. jeff_john

jeff_john Auditioning

I dove right in and bought the following peices for my home theater. Sharp XV-Z9000U, Denon 4802, M and K S-150 THX ultra speaker system. Great prices from Utah. I am very new to building a HT and would like to know what else you experienced users would add. I have a dedicated room in a dark basement measuring 20x16. I don't have unlimited funds but what are the must haves for this set up? Thanks, Jeff

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

How about a screen?
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Jeff-
    Congratulations on your purchases. It sounds like you did some research and made some excellent choices. Doug's above post makes a good point. Did you choose a screen yet? There are numerous posts in the AVS Forum concerning the right screen to get with the Sharp. I also just purchased the 9000, but I already have a 108" Stewart GrayHawk electric-drop screen. I will not be changing it even if it is decided that it is too big for the gain.
    Do you already have a progressive scan DVD player? Definitely consider one if you don't. There are many new models to choose from. My favorite of the ~10 models I played with is the Panasonic RP-91. There are pros and cons for each player out there...this was just the best player for me.
    Where are you putting your equipment? If I could, I would put the equipment behind me or somewhere out of sight. I would try to get a nice rack (like Middle-Atlantic) and mount it. Right now, I have mine inwall with the equipment backing into a closet. If your equipment is out of sight, you would need an IR repeater system to control it.
    Speaking of control, you may want to consider a universal remote. The Pronto is the affordable remote to get for unbelievable control and configuration. I have three right now to use in different setups. I use one for all my electronics, my dropdown screen, electric shades, and lighting.
    The list is long for equipment you can get, such as a line conditioner/surge protector, but I am not sure what your wallet feels like after your recent major purchases.
    ------------------
    Sound InSight Audio Video
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

4. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Unless you are a brightness junkie like a lot of folks in the digital projector forum at avsforums are, a greyhawk will be fine for the Sharp 9000, even at 108" 16:9. You'll still get anywhere from ~16 to ~22 foot lamberts off the screen depending on which mode you use, which is plenty. Most movie houses are between 9 - 12 ftL (that 16 ftL figure is for open gate projectors with no film in them).
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

5. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

What would the best screen be for the Sharp FPTV system?
    The GreyHawk was designed and constructed
    with the Sony 10HT as the source so is apparently
    the perfect match for that projector.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

6. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

7. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Trevor, which screen is right for the Sharp is a matter of opinion, and a contested one at that among owners of the projector. As I stated above, there is more than adequate brightness to use the sharp with a Grey Hawk. This would improve contrast and black level and help alleviate some ambient light issues, if you have any. Using a higher gain screen (the usual alternative is a 1.3 gain screen compared to the Grey Hawk's .95) will give you more brightness, but will make the contrast and black level poorer. You really nmust see the projector in person to make that evaluation for yourself. I demoed the projector on a white screen, probably 1.3 gain, and found the black level to be unacceptable. But I am a CRT projector owner. I would recommend getting samples from Stewart of the Gray Hawk and the Studio Tek and take them with you when you go demo the projector. You might also want to contact Vutec about the Grey Dove screen that they have just debuted. It's cheaper than the Stewart and I hear good things about it.
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

8. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

My friend has a reference setup where he uses 2 Runco 980 Ultra Projectors stacked onto a Stewart 6' x 11' Studiotek 1.3 Gain Screen. He reviews DVDs on a familiar website. He was verily impressed with the Sharp 9000 and strongly recommended me getting one. A CRT snob if there ever was one, he felt comfortable enough to keep the Sharp to review DVDs with until he had to return the unit...and he did recommend it. CRT black level may never be achieved by anything other than CRT, including regular movie theaters. But I feel that it is a black level that I am comfortable with. There is shadow depth that I was not getting with my Sony 10HT...or what I saw with the 11HT.
    Sean mentioned the Gray Dove by Vutec. I had the opportunity to see it at CEDIA and it was indeed impressive. They had a screen that was actually four different materials divided into quadrants. I believe the Gray Dove was the bottom right and the Gray Hawk was the top right. When I last checked the polls, the Gray Dove had a narrow margin over the Hawk..and they both had miles over the other two. It was a difficult thing to test because the conditions were far from ideal.
    ------------------
    Sound InSight Audio Video
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection