I punched a hole in my ceiling... how to fix??!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joseph Young, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

There is an entire section of ceiling in my apartment which, unbeknownst to me, was just layers of paint and caulk from a previous tenant's water damage (I am guessing). Sometimes when the kids upstairs start dropping cannonballs on the carpet, I give the ceiling a little knock with my broom handle. Only this time, the handle pushed through the ceiling like a toothpick through sponge cake. The hole is clean and the size of a silver dollar.

Is there a discrete way I can fix this myself without having to involve my landlords? Anyone??

2. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

Uh… disguise the hole with a large and colorful piñata?

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

More paint and caulk, of course [​IMG] Maybe even get fancy and cover the whole with duct tape first.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You kids keep it down up there! *pound* *pound* [​IMG]

I laugh, but I recently did a similar thing. An older home, the neighborhood squirrels and mice have established freeways through the attic above my apartment. When I get sick of them scurrying around, I start pounding on the walls and ceiling to scare them off. A couple weeks I pounded too hard in a weak spot and put a hole in the drywall. I hope to patch it this weekend. Unfortunately, my hole is a little bigger than a broomhandle.

More caulk and paint? [​IMG]

5. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I would say you could fix it but this statement has me worried:

"the handle pushed through the ceiling like a toothpick through sponge cake"

I was thinking on the lines of filling the whole with plaster but if the celing is crumbling away that is a much more serious problem. I'd suggect finishing the job with ruining the celing. Then call your landlord and say "I was watching the news the other evening and the kids started dropping cannonballs again and the ceiling fell on me."

That way you have solved 2 problems.

1. Ceiling problem.
    2. Kids dropping cannonballs as the landlord will most likely talk to the tenant upstairs.

Good luck with what ever you do. I was in the same boat with the kids dropping canonballs. I moved to a top floor apartment and have had a very quite and peaceful existence since then.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

There are patching kits that are fairly easy to use and you dont need to buy a huge bucket of mud.Should work great on a broomstick hole

7. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I'm sorry, but this gets the award for Quote of the Year that could be badly missinterpreted.

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Missed it the first time I read it but now. . .ROFLMAO!

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

There is a mesh you can apply that sticks to the wall to cover the hole. Apply a patch of the mesh and then start laying in the spackle. It will take a good 3 coats since the spackle will shrink when it dries. Feather out the edges to get the patch to blend in. A coat of paint and you won't know it was there.
    As for the size of the hole, I've decided to take the high road for a change and not comment :b :b

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Oops! :b :b

And my dirty mind didn't even pick up on it as I typed it. [​IMG]

11. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Hehe, you guys crack me up... [​IMG]

Thanks for all the advice. I will likely look into a patching kit w/the mesh. I'm still tempted to break down the whole ceiling as Chet advised, and blame it on the kids upstairs.

Right now i have a folded paper towel held up by weak scotch tape covering the hole, just as a placeholder until the real work gets done. I'd hate for all sorts of strange things to come dropping/crawling out of there!

For a moment, when I first struck the ceiling and felt it go through, I felt like Geraldo Rivera in front of Al Capone's vault.