What's new

I pulled the trigger on the Infocus X1 (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just played Lord of the Rings(extended version) and it looks remarkable.

I have tried numerous DVD's as a test and so far I have not seen any rainbows or screendoors.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else running Superbit titles yet??
Try Panic Room - The darkest scenes look awful on my small (40" diag 16:9) screen. Pixelation is very blocky and obvious, using COMPOSITE, as it's the only cable I have right now that's long enough.

I have a 72" wide 4:3 screen in the car right now, free from work. I hope it's the right "gray / white". I wonder if you can paint a roll-up.

PR looks much better on my 27" Sony from 8' away. I like quality over quantity, I guess. Hopefully settings / screen tweaks will correct this.........

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Scott:

It's not new but you can get the Panasonic RP 91 for about $300 on line now. It is a fantastic DVD player for the price. And no chroma bug ta boot. BTW, the newest units that are being released has the latest firmware from Panasonic.

New players? I am not sure what to recommend as I don't have any of the newer units.

Colin:

I would shoot off an email to Gregg Loewen and ask his opinion of ISF calibration of the X1.

Parker

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm dying here. Mine is minutes away, yet the UPS website does not say 'out for delivery', but it does say that today is the delivery day.

I hope it shows up, I've got everything. My 2x3's for the screen frame, my black out cloth, my paint, everything but the projector...I do still need to order the breakout cable as well.

Glad to hear this thing really preforms.

Peace Out~:D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, UPS just rescheduled delivery to Monday. Unless I am able to pick it up, I'm out of the loop until then. It's so close, yet so far away.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I cannot figure this one out. 15 minutes after my post above, the projector shows up! WoooHooo:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
You will never go back to a standard sized or even a rear projection again.
Parker:

Well I did just that last night when I watched HBO on a 19" tv. Comparing that to a 100" picture from my Sony Hs10 it amazes me that I could have thought that this was a big tv 15 years ago. Oh how our perspectives changes over time:D

Ron:

congrats on you new toy. Will be looking forward to your review and pictures of your new setup.

Michael

Robert-Y

Auditioning
I've been lurking for a while.

The posts on this subject have convinced me to "pull the trigger" and I've ordered a X1. ;)

Thanks for all of the information. I hope to contribute in the future.

Robert.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
OK, I'm in. I couldn't hold out any longer. Can't wait to try this thing out. Thanks for all the feedback, it really helped, but in the end I just figured I can't lose with a 30 day trial.

Warning: Story ahead, nothing to do with X1:
This will be my first projector of my own but my grandparents had a huge crt and when I read Parker's story about his kid watching the movie over and over it reminded me of when I was younger. That was the highlight of my grandparents house (even though they lived on the ocean). The thrill of watching my favorite movies (beta-max) on a big screen anytime I wanted was a great memory I have as a child. It's a hobby to us but for a kid its still in that realm of amazement and wonder. Hopefully those of you with kids or grandkids will get to experience that. Besides, who wasn't totally impressed as a kid when they saw a projector in somebody's house? That was always like the ultimate coolness factor somebody could have.

Sorry about the rambling, I was a bit excited after making the purchase. Tom Petty hit the nail on the head when he said the waiting is the hardest part. :emoji_thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Robert! I lurked for two years until somebody asked the right question, and it was one of the better decisions I made (to join, that is).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Robert and Jed:

I look forward to both of your opinions on this projector.

Jed:

I know the feeling. My aunt and grandmother had a color TV. We had black and white until I was about 19. I remember watching Star Trek and seeing that the Enterprise was blue instead of white was real eye opener. Also back then though we didn't watch that much TV in the first place.

The thing that I remember the most was seeing Superman on a front projection screen in an electronics store. At that time there were a bunch of the models out that had the projector in its own box that shot on to a screen that was attached to that box. It was like a rear projector with the projector moved forward about 2 foot. They had a lot of these at one time. So here I was watching Superman on a 60 inch front projector and I knew right then that this was the only way to go. Now about 26 years later I finally have just that.

Parker

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
There is a min size and a max size result. What's the difference between these? Is the min size where I will not see the screen door effect?
Thi,

The X1 has a zoom lens and so for a particular distance from the screen the size of the projected picture can be changed between the min size and the max size by adjusting the zoom.

The min size has nothing to do with the screendoor effect. The rule of thumb is to sit at least 1.5X the screen width away so that you don't see the screendoor effect.

I was on the fence about ordering the X1 myself and I ended up staying on the fence (I guess it is too late now to take advantage of the rebate). I think I will be getting the L300U instead (although it is twice as expensive as the X1).

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Got my order in just under the wire for the rebate! Woo-hoo! And since we're just up I-5 from the place, it should be here within days.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hey guys,

If any of you are hooking your DVD player up to the X1 using the S-video connection, try the following settings.

Brightness: 74
Contrast: 42
Color: 68
Tint: 45

Color Temp: Warm

These were the recommended settings from CineFreak in an AVS thread. I tried them out and I am finally pleased with my picture during dark scenes, light scenes, and everything in between. Let me know how you like the results.

He/she had different numbers for using component--->VGA, but I'll have to look up the thread again to post those.

George

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Fired mine up tonight on the living-room wall directly out of the box, no calibration of any kind. Excellent PQ, a little washed out in the blacks but that can be improved with tweaking. All other colors looked dead on. I noted minor screen door effect at roughly 6' but a little tweak of the focus cleared up most of that.

I ran it with an S-Video connection on a white semi-gloss wall with the PJ at 13.5 feet throwing a screen size of roughly 80" (16:9).

Fan noise was barely noticable.

Now, the not so good. Because this PJ is native 4:3, your going to have some huge black bars to deal with. I will only be displaying widescreen DVD's, nothing 4:3. My screen will be 16:9 and will be mounted roughly 12" away from the wall. This will allow the black bars to over shoot the screen and disappear on 1.85:1 material, with 2.35:1 I'll need to build some mattes.

Now for Rainbows. Very noticeable with black and white material, so much so, it was bothersome. Then, I put in Lord of the Rings (known to be a heavy rainbow movie) and did see some, but not to the point of being bothersome. I also put in Me, Myself and Irene and did not see any. I do have a 62mm polarizing linear filter ready for pick-up which is said to help reduce the rainbows, but not sure how it will effect PQ. I pick the filter up on Monday. Also, I bought a special Valspar gray paint from Lowes that is supposed to help reduce this effect.

When I first fired this thing up, my jaw hit the floor the PQ was so good and that was just out of the box. I will hopefully get my screen built and the PJ mounted and do some tweaking on Sunday, Saturday she'll be sitting in the box. All-n-all, an excellent PJ at an even better price.

Once I get the breakout cable for progressive, the screen up and PJ mounted, some tweaking done, this thing should really shine. I just can't get over how huge the image was and how excellent it looked. Truely awesome, really brings the movies to life.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am sure you will let us know your results with the gray screen and the effect on the rainbows. Try to run the same tests again with the new screen and let us know.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron:

It is weird how with one movie you don't notice that rainbow and with another they are all over the place. I just watched Monsters Inc with no rainbow what so ever. Then I watched The Sound of Music and they were all over the place. And weird thing about TSoM was that they weren't apparent until about an hour into the movie.

I am really going to have to get a screen too as the dark scenes were so dark that the characters on the screen couldn't be made out.

I look forward to your review of your DIY screen with the projector.

George:

I will try your settings to see if they help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks