What's new

I pulled the trigger on the Infocus X1 (1 Viewer)

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Eric,

You are the man!! Have you had any experience with this or any other cables from pccables.com?? I'm wondering about the quality. It looks decent to me, I just want to make sure I'm putting my hard earned money to good use.

Thanks!!

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
Tim:

I can't take the credit. I've been researching the X1 and accessories for a week or so. I booked marked that cable seller from a post over at AVS. The guy who posted bought one and said it worked great. I'll see if I can dig up his original thread.

-EJ

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ok, what is this breakout cable? I was told that the X1 comes with all necessary cable to connect my DVD player via componet connection to the X1. So why the breakout? I just ordered my x1 today and will hopefully have it by weeks end. Do I need this cable to get 480p?

Peace Out~:D

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Ron,

I had to do some research on this as well.....I believe the cable that the X1 comes with is a 'component to s-video adapter'. The X1 uses a special s-video connection with additional pins in it. With this you are able to run your component outs to the s-video in the projector.

The problem is that the X1 only takes 480p and/or 1080i (for HDTV) via the VGA inputs. Thus the s-video is no good for HDTV or progressive scan DVD. Thats why I had to embark on a search for the mythical 'VGA breakout' cable :)

Its s bit confusing, but I hope this helps.

Tim

Scott Hine

Stunt Coordinator
I have had mine for about 10 days now.

Component to the InFocus "special" s-video input is no longer included with the projector. You need to order it when you order the projector form InFocus. It is around $5.00. It used to be included but is no longer.
PLEASE NOTE that it will ONLY ACCEPT 480i input. The s-video in the projector has extra pins to accept the component input but still only 480i

Component to VGA Breakout cable is needed for 480P and higher resolutions. I got mine from Blue Jeans Cables. You have to e-mail them about these cables as they do not have them in the web site. I got a 5 foot cable for around $76.00.

Now some or most of you might run into a problem where you need to input more than one single of 480P or higher. I am looking into this

http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt-5842.htm

If anyone has any ideas about that switch please let me know. I currently have the following
Panasonic RP82 480P
TWC HD Cable 1080i
PS2 480i
X-Box 480P and sometimes 720P
At this time I have my PS@ hooked up to the Component to s-video adaptor to the projector. Not very many PS2 games are in 480p only 480i. The DVD Player and HD box are running into my receiver Pioneer 811 through Component in and out to the projector VGA port via the above-mentioned break out cable. I have no place for my brand new X-Box. That is the reason I am looking into the Switch from AVTOOLBOX. Any other ideas?

- Scott

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Scott, I asked specifically about the component to S-video cable and was told it is included, it's also listed as being included on their website. I just ordered today. It really doesn't matter though as I will not use it anyway. I'm going to hit up the Rat Shack and assemble a breakout cable for testing. If it works and I like what I see, I'll buy a better brand cable later.

Thanks Tim, that helped greatly.

Scott Hine

Stunt Coordinator
I hope you’re correct.... I had a Demo unit for the last 10 days, and today received my new unit. In the box came a letter that said it is no loner included, and it was not yet updated on the manuals or website? I was lucky I had ordered the component to s-video cable, which arrived also today in a separate box. Please let me know if yours is included.

- Scott

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I just got mine today and it came with a note that the component to S Video cable is no longer included.

To be able to run 480p and up you have to use the progressive to VGA break out cable mentioned.

Parker

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yep, you guys are correct, no cable included. I just called, it's because of the price cut. Their component to VGA is $20 for a small patch cable. I'll just run to the Rat Shack for the breakout cable.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Could someone tell me what the main disadvantages, if any, of getting this over one of the best CRT RPTVs? I don't know much about TVs.

If I get this, I'd like to use a portable screen in front of my RPTV (which I'll use to watch TV). Is this feasible? How much would a screen weigh? I'll be able to sit 10 feet away from the screen.

~T

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
I lucked out, It must be an older one from BestBuy that comes with a component to VGA cable.

Tommy_W

Grip
I was wondering if I can hook up a computer to this projector? I will be using this for weekly meetings and such, but during the rest of the week, I would love to watch some dvd's and such with this projector! Please tell me it's possible..and what I would need to hook up the computer. Oh the comp has a tv-out already so that side is covered. Thanks!

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
There a quite a few reviews over at ProjectorCentral.com on this machine. Most are excellent with a few average ones and a couple that are very poor. It seems that this Rainbow effect is the main gripe with this PJ.

Have you played with yours much at all Parker? Did you look for rainbows or notice any?

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I've had my X1 up and running for a little over 3 weeks now. I really love the image this little baby puts out even on the white wall I am currently using. I can see rainbows if I look for them but they aren't an issue for me or my girlfriend. Last night I had some friends over to see it. They really liked the X1. One one them did ask me what was with the color flashes and the other one had to be taught how to see them. Neither had a problem with them though...no headaches or eyestrain. Just the occasional flash of color which you don't really notice if your paying attention to the movie.

Randy

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Good to hear Randy. I don't want to know more until I get the PJ up and running to see if I notice anything out of the ordinary. I have been reading over at AVS on certain settings and using a polarizing filter to quell the rainbows if they are troublesome. I have been trying to avoid finding out exactly what rainbows are and how to spot them, ignorance is bliss in a situation like this.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I have only noticed rainbows a couple of times and it was just quick flashes, nothing to bother me. I have had two different people over so far and they haven't had a problem either. The only probs I have so far is the dark picture I am getting. I have the projector 12' away for an approx. 85" 16 X 9 image and from the reviews, I don't think that should be a problem. I am working on a temporary screen solution until I have time to research a permanent one. I may paint an ultra white satin rectangle on my wall and surround that with black paint to see if that makes a difference from my 220 count white bedsheet. I have also ordered a breakout cable so I can use my component output from from Denon DVD 1600 for a clearer picture. I hope 50' won't be too long and degrade the signal.

I can't wait to hear from everyone else on their experience with their new projector.

George

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Well, I have had my projector for a couple of days now and so far so good. I don't have a screen yet and I am just setting the projector up about 18 feet back from a wall that I have painted flat white.

During the day of course the image is washed out pretty bad because of all the ambient light that I have coming into the room. Now during the night though this puppy really shines.

I put in a DVD and immediately my 3 year old came down the stairs and demanded that I put in Ice Age. So I set up the projector for 16 x 9 and put on Ice Age. We laid there on the couch together, about 20 foot back from the wall, and watched an image that just about covered the wall, except for about 2 feet on either side, that it was shot on width wise. So about a 12 foot wide image. All I can say is that the image looked so good on just a white wall that I can hardly wait to see what it will look like on a screen with black borders and total light control. These results were from a projector that has not been set up or calibrated in any way either. This is just staight out of the box.

So.......I wanted to say something since I just got this a couple of days ago because it is going to be awhile before I have everything set up the way that I want. The bottom line though is that the projector is staying and I look forward to watching many a movie on it until something bigger and better comes along that I just have to have. The immediate problem that I have now is that my 3 year old wants to watch Ice Age again and keeps pointing to the wall instead of my TV.

Parker

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
Parker,

What are you using for a DVD player and which connection are you running to the X1?

Glad you're pleased. I'm hoping to order mine soon.

-EJ

Tommy_W

Grip
Ordered mine today! I figure I can at least test it out and see how I like it :) The guy that I spoke to told me that most cables are already included with the x-1? Maybe I misunderstood..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks