I Prefer Original Packaging

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler T, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

I've been noticing all these posts about alternate Buffy covers or X-Files covers and was wondering why do you want to get new covers. Yes, my Simpsons discs are getting scratched, but I like Fox's cardboard packaging. Anyway, I really don't know why would spend $30 (including S&H) on a 5 disc Amary case. I do hate snappers though and wish to get them into blanck Amary cases.

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Tyler,
    The reason a lot of people want to move from cardboard packaging to the keepcases is for durability. If you lend your dvds out, I'm sure you'd feel a lot better letting someone borrow a keepcase than a fragile cardboard case.
    My personal preference would be to use keepcase art that is similar/identical to the original cardboard box art.
    I'm not sure where you got $30 for a case, but the most expensive case I've seen is $3.50 (w/o shipping) and that one holds 7 discs.
    If you hate snappers, then head on over to my site ( www.dvdcoverart.com ) and help join the fight (and pick up a few covers while you are at it)
    -Matt

3. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

4. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Because plain unprotected cardboard will eventually fall apart, get torn or a little frayed in the corners. All of this will happen simply by the movement of the box on your shelf rubbing against other cases or the shelf. When you unfold cardboard repeatedly it will wear thin and almost all folders you have to unfold at least half way (sometimes all the way) just to get to one disc. And then of course there are the unwanted accidents (which curiously enough seem to never happen to people who like cardboard cases).

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I can see the problem with cardboard cases from my 'Se7en' and 'Fight Club' packaging. It is beginning to get worn and frayed on the edges from continual use... I may just have to replace them with keepcases in a few more viewings! [​IMG]

6. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

For me personally, it's not really a case of cardboard vs. plastic durability. I've never swapped out a snapper cover for a keepcase cover to help protect the packaging. What irks me the most is inconsistency in packaging. It's an aesthetic thing. For all that is anal about me, I can't stand to have the different types of cases intermingling on the shelf. So rather than have everything in alphabetical order, I find that all my discs as segregated by case design. Pathetic? Probably. Aesthetically pleasing? Yes.

In the case of the Buffy cover, I wanted to create something that would be
    1. durable,
    2. easy to access the discs,
    3. pleasing to look at, and
    4. a design that could easily carry over to future seasons.[/list=1]

I have the R2 sets for the first three seasons of Buffy. And while pleasing and functional in their own right, they don't really stand up well to reapeted insertion/removal of discs and don't quite match each other the way I'd like. That's the main reason I wanted to create the Buffy cover seen in my previous thread. (Well, that and the fact that creating things such as that cover are just plain fun for me. I've created numerous CD covers for custom discs I've made over the years as well, just for the fun of it.)

As far as cases like Se7en, I prefer the studio version, because I do enjoy that kind of packaging. The extra heft and attention to detail make the DVD 'pre-viewing' experience all that much better. I don't handle most of my discs excessively, nor do I lend them out very often. However, I can definitely see how people would want keepcase versions readily at hand.

mike.

7. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I do it pretty much to consolidate my TV show dvd's into 1 case instead of 5, 6 or 7 cases. I keep all my dvd's in my home theater. At night I need to fall asleep while watching tv. Its a habit which i have unless im so tired I just pass out. I watch 1 - 2 episodes of something in order and continue until i finish wether it be a month or two. So i have to bring the discs up to my room and keep them sitting on my dresser. Say I want to start watching Farscape in order. Instead of having 11 single cases lying around in my room and carrying them up 2 flights of steps, I just have 2 cases. Same with Trek:TOS 40 cases or 8? Its a lot neater and i dont have dvd cases lying all over the room. As for x-files, buffy, and simpsons. Im switching mine over to new cases for those also. Im not a big fan of the fold out cases. So for $3 ill buy a 7 case and put a entire season 1 in 1 case. Its just my preference, and my $$ to spend :).

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Is it just me or isn't part of the fun opening that funky packaging to get the disc out? I get to enjoy it each time.

9. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

10. Frank Anderson

11. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'm very meticulous about my DVD cases. Although I don't dislike snappers and other ways that DVDs are packaged, I do not like when the cases and covers start showing wear and tear. I'm like that with pretty much everything I own, so if I can buy DVD amarays and print up covers for only a few bucks more, it's worth it to me.

12. Frank Anderson

13. mike martin

mike martin Stunt Coordinator

Hell, I'm proud of the fact that some of my packages are getting tore up. I want it to look used like that wonderfull baseball cap that should have been thrown out years ago. I want it to say "Hell yeah, I watch Fight Club every couple of months or so. What? You wanna borrow it? Sure, take it for a spin, I lend it to everyone!" Hopefully 20 years from now the disk will still play flawlessly but the case will tell of a movie that has been played and loved for all those 20 years.

Will I regret not taking care of it 20 years from now? Maybe; but if I regreted every dumb decision I'd made in my life I'd be one depressed sumbitch.

14. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

I'm very much in favor of the orginal packaging, no matter what it is. Snapper, keepcases, some-funky-thing-invented-to-be-used-for-just-this-one-release, it's all part of the collecting. I use protective snapper-sleeves from Bag Unlimited and other sleves for some other packagings (Fight Club, X-men, etc), but I always keep the orginal.

Yes, The X-files season sets may be a pain in the butt when you want to watch a particular disc, but that's the way I bought them, so that's the way they're staying.

That being said, I don't have a problem with replacing some spindle-of-death keepcases with new ones.

--Anders

15. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

by replacing the distinct cardboard packing, your able to preserve it, from being ruined, I don't think anyone suggests throwing away all your cool boxes, just have more durable ones for everyday use.

16. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I usually prefer original packaging, except:

1) It's very unhandy (Anchor Bay Tins)

2) It's butt-ugly (Record of Lodoss War)

In this case, I'll throw the discs into keepcases, and maybe print some of the cool alternative covers.

17. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Im not going to get rid of my Original cases for x-files, sorpronos or buffy. Those are going to be stored in a box in the closet.

18. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I just can't see storing the boxes in a box in the closet. To me, part of the joy of owning the SE's is the packaging.

Mine aren't beat at all as I'm very careful when getting stuff out. As for the Sopranos, that packaging is awesome. I would never want that in my closet!

Jeez, I have some awfully beat up covers on my old Frank Zappa vinyl. But its 2002 and I have it all on CD. I saved all my records but its not the end of the world.