What's new

I-Pod or the like with a built in radio? (1 Viewer)

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if Apple makes an Ipod with a built in radio tuner? If not, can anyone recommend a similar type unit that has a radio tuner built in?

thanks in advance
Allan

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Apple's iPod does NOT have a built-in radio tuner. However you can purchase a second-party radio tuner from Belkin through Apple's website.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Archos has one. I believe it's called the Archos FM Recorder. I have a 20GB Archos recorder, but without the tuner, and it's great. It connects through USB 2.0, has a 20GB hard drive, and will mount on most Windows PCs as a USB hard drive without any special drivers. It's very handy. I'm pretty sure they sell for quite a bit less than an iPod also.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice. A couple of questions though?

1. Garrett, I couldn;t find the Belkin radio tuner on the apple website. Could you please post a link?

2. Brian, any idea when the next generation I-pods are set to come out?

3. Keith, I went to the Archos website. The device you mention only has 128 KB of memory. I was really looking for something like the I-pod where I could store 1000s of CDs.

4. Any other tips?

thanks again
Allan

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Allan, there is one with a hard drive, look around a bit more, I found it at Amazon for $250 but I don't remember its proper name. It might be something like Archos Jukebox FM Recorder.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Pricey, but the iHP-120 will do what you're asking. It also does real-time recording and comes with a mic, I believe.

As for the Sony, I would treat their products with caution. Their, their NetMD minidisc line's DRM cripples usability. For example, all files must be converted to Sony's proprietery format using (not very good) proprietery software.

-j

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry. The Belkin FM-adapter for Apple's iPod is actually a FM transmitter for playing MP3s/AACs on FM radio. Sorry for the mix-up, I guess I need to pay more attention to these things

:b

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I think that the I-Pod is the way to go (and that is coming from a die-hard PC lover). It is a bit expensive, but linked up with iTunes it should be really nice.

I will also agree that Sony and their mini-disc players are not a good idea. I own one and it is disappointing. Their software for this product is horrible and so is their customer support.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks