What's new

I painted my satellite dish. (1 Viewer)

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
I didn't know if this was the right forum to post my topic. While it ain't "graduate school" material, it was a DIY project nonetheless.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Originally, I was just going to use Rustoleum spray paint. But, during my research on what types and colors of paints to use, I learned that you should not use any glossy-type paint and should stick to a flat finish. None of the spray paints that I could find had the colors that I needed in a flat finish, so my next resort was to have the colors mixed. A flat-finish exterior paint suitable for fiberglass or metal surfaces will do.

-Armando

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Flat? Really? Just making an uneducated guess based on how I understand dishes to work, I would think you would want a glossy, more reflective surface... but, I guess I am mistaken.

I don't suppose you see any loss in reception due to this?

The beauty of this is for those who don't enjoy the look of a gray dish mounted on their house, they could go with matching the color to their siding and such.... eenteresting!

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
I hope you didn't use radar absorbant paint.
yeah...I now have a stealth dish and get all the channels that I didn't get in the past. :D
Dave, the reason for using flat instead of glossy paint is that the glossy finish will reflect more heat toward the LNB (the knobby-thing on the tip of the dish) which in turn will fry it.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
not a bad job but your colors suck you should have just mixed the 2 colors and painted the dish then ass a big white S

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks