What's new

I ordered something used from Amazon... (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It arrived in brand new condition, wrapped up and everything. However, the UPC code was hole punched. Why would the seller do that?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
A couple possibilities - so it won't qualify for any rebates or to prevent you from returning the item to a local store for credit.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
was it a CD?
probably was a promotional item, radio stations get CD cases with the bar code punched or the case notched with what appears to be a bandsaw.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
More than likely its so that seller could get the rebate. Ebay is full of items like this. People just buy tons of stuff from stores, collect the rebate, then resell them for the price they paid for them. Instant profit. I've never had a problem with it as long as you are aware you can't get any manufacturer rebates.

Best Buy will take back items without the UPC symbol, though. That's probably why if you buy and openbox item that has a rebate, they just sell it for the price minus rebate. That way, you get the discount anyway (and if you're lucky to get one with the UPC on it, you can collect again).

**Edit** Sorry, misread your post. If the UPC just has a hole in it, then yeah it's probably a promotional item. If the UPC is completely missing, then my answer above is probably most likely.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks for all of the replies. Seems kinda weird that it might be a promotional item, since it's the soundtrack for Irreversible. :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Could be promotional CD, or a Review CD (I used to review CDs/DVDs, all the stuff they sent me had either the spines sawed in, or the UPC hole-punchd)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks