I ordered my Boston VR-920 Center Channel today!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well I had a good chance today. I had some car audio equipment that I returned today and with that credit I ordered my Boston Acoustics VR-920 Center Channel. Last one in the company. It has to be shipped from Minnesota, Im in colorado. Wanna know how much I got it for?

$220!!!!! I love working at a retail store.

Well I cant wait to get it. Just have to convince my wife to get me matching center channel speaker wire. Next I need my sub, then upgrade my surrounds and Im done!

2. Jesse Sharrow

Any other boston guys have this center? Anyone ever heard it? Im pretty excited about getting it.

3. Chris Grillo

Chris Grillo Stunt Coordinator

Jesse Sharrow,

I don't own that one but I do own the Boston VR12 center and I think it's the best center I have ever heard! I think you will be real happy with it! I am in the process of trying to get the VR2 fronts too match! Sure wish I had a friend in your position (hint, hint) to help me out! LOL
    :b Injoy your new center

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I have a 920 to go with my vr3's. I am sure will like it quite a bit. It is a very nice and natural sounding speaker. IMHO it is the best Boston center channel, other than the older vr12. Do not get me wrong, all of the Boston Centers are very good but it seems like they hit the nail on the head with the 12 and 920. The vrc is great but I would like to see another center in the vr line that is more of the equivalent of the 920. The vrm-c lists for the same price for the 920 but to be honest I really think the Vrm-c is the weak link to the Vrm line. I would almost get a 920 to match up with the other Vrm speakers.
    For the price you paid you really go a steal. I got mine for 300$ and I thought I was ripping them off [​IMG].

5. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

I think you're really going to like it. I traded up from a VR910 and there is a world of difference. It melts in perfectly with my VR975s. I agree with Chris it is a very natural sounding speaker.
    I didn't get nearly as good a deal as you got but there are no regrets.

6. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

I have the VR910 [​IMG]

If anyone sees a good deal on a VR920, let me know.

7. Jesse Sharrow

Lol I would let you know but I got the last one in the companany. As in the entire US. Well ultimate electronics at least. [​IMG]

Jim Rakowiecki: How do you like the 975's. Are they pretty bassy or boomy? Because we have a pair at work. The speaker terminals are broken off, but I was thinking I may want to pick them up with my Birthday money. Are they much better than the 950's? Thats what I have up front.

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Jesse, I had a pair of vr965's......one step down from the 975. I auditioned them heavily against the 950's. I wanted so badly to like the 950's more because of the smaller size and price difference but there really was no comparison....the 965's blew the 950's out of the water. This was listening to music/movies and NOT sending LFE to them. The powered woofer in them just increased the midrange, the low-mid and the bass a GREAT deal. I never heard the 975's but with its' dual mids and bigger woofer I can imagine it is an awsome speaker. If you can swing it I would jump all over it. As I am sure you know, being in your field, damaged goods does not mean "bad" goods. I would contact Boston and ask them for whatever parts you need......do it right and don't jimmy-rig-it. With the adition of the 920 you will have a hard to beat front soundstage for the money will have wound up paying. Good luck

9. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Jesse, I really like the 975's but I have to admit I'm not terribly fimiliar with the 950's. I listened to them briefly when I was looking around but I can't make a fair comparison. I bought the 975's so I guess I liked them better.
    You probably know they each have a powered 10 inch sub and a 12 inch passive radiators so the potential is there to be boomy if that's what you like but I prefer tight and accurate bass. With time and experimentation I have gotten them right where I want them.
    Overall I am very pleased with them and they just keep getting better. The high's and mid's are well balanced and the imaging is great.
    If you can get the same kind of deal on them that you got on the 920 I don't think you would regret it.
    What are you using for surrounds? I'm currently using Bravos but was considering upgrading.

10. Jesse Sharrow

Well I may pick up those 975's then. We have a pair at work. If I got them I would use my 950's for rears. Then I would get a SVS PC-Ultra. But they sound like they are worth a shot. Ill have to call boston tommorrow and see if I can get those terminals.