I opened the mysterious diy speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike SJ, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

OK, I popped one of the woofers out.
    It is sheilded and says "made in taiwan" 8 ohms #55-5150

thats it. so can anyone identify this speaker?

p l e a s e ????

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

That sounds like a MCM part number. But nothing comes up on their website. It could've been discontinued.

You could try to contact them and see if the have any record of any drivers under that part number and if they have any specs on it.

What size is it again?

3. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

its a 5 1/2" yelow kevlar woven driver

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

HELLO!?!?!?
    anYBODY?
    i THOUGHT YOU ALL WERE EXPERTS AT THIS STUFF

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Sometimes sparsely labelled OEM drivers are hard to identify. Are there any markings indicating a manufacturer for the driver?

I do recall that there were yellow kevlar drivers were used on some Stryke drivers in the past couple of years.

6. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

I APPOLOGIZE FOR THE FRUSTRATION ON MY PART

it seamed as though ppl said the speakers are easily identifiable once I pop the speakers. Now ive taken the time to pop them bu I cannot get an answer. did I pop these for no reason? Please if you have any suggestion, please post it. Im racking my brains trying to figure this opne out

7. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

ThomasW, Hank Frank, DanHine????
    anyone?

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I read your info and my first thought was MCM as well.

Obviously they aren't high-end European units.

There are millions of drivers made every year in Taiwan.

The reason you went to ALL that work, is because that was one of the only ways to see IF they could be identified.

Why is identifying these such a big deal? Either you like how they sound or you don't. And knowing the mfgr isn't going to change the speakers.

Are they stolen? What did the person you 'acquired' them from, say about their origins?

9. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

"Why is identifying these such a big deal? Either you like how they sound or you don't. And knowing the mfgr isn't going to change the speakers."

I wanted to recreate these. My deal with my local cabinet maker is that if I buy the raw drives/xover (1) set for me AND (1) set for him, he will make me speaker cabinets as trade. So I wanted to purchase the same for him and get some beautiful walnut veneer speaker cabs made for these.

10. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

11. MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo Stunt Coordinator

12. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

thanks Mike, but I'm not in a game to have more friends than others, and Im not really into the self-help regimine.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Then I hope the irony of this thread in this forum area hasn't been lost on you... [​IMG]

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Mike,

So did the list help you at all? As Thomas said, the driver very much sounds like an MCM driver, but if it's not on their site then it is probably discontinued.

Oh, and you might get more responses if you try two very simple things.

1) Ditch the caps lock, people don't appreciate being shouted at

2) Try being a bit more patient. You just started this thread this morning. Not everyone sits around all day on the net just waiting to post an answer to every question. Some people may not even be online until later this evening.

15. PierreAC

PierreAC Auditioning

How hard was it to pull a piece of foam and unscrew what.... 6 maybe 8 screws to pull a driver ?

What are you complaining for ?

[​IMG]

Patience grasshopper, am sure someone here will be able to assist you, give it some time....

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Michael,

While we're on the topic, this one is also fitting:

Nice Book

17. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Patrick: good one.
    Wayne: good one.
    Brian: yes, patience is a virtue.
    Mike SJ: you're not in a game to have more friends than others? Well, were not EITHER. BTW, who is Hank Frank?
    Seriously, we'd like to help you, but you definitely are impatient. We all have jobs (some very responsible/demanding) and check out this forum for stress relief, and we don't appreciate demanding, impatient posts. I think the "easily identifiable" thing means that if you pulled a driver and could furnish a part number that is a manufacturer's part number (NOT a reselling dealer like MCM, who may have discontinued that driver, which happens all the time), then someone with current or older manufacturers' part number lists could readily identify the driver. Have you called MCM and asked if they have a list of discontinued part numbers?
    If you can't identify the drivers, you have two options:
    1. Have them tested for T-S parameters and then search for currently available drivers that match.
    2. You probably can't find those drivers if they are discontinued, so take the cabinet volume and start looking for drivers/crossovers that match the cabinet volume and buy currently available drivers. You have two givens to work with: cabinet internal volume and driver cabinet cutouts.
    Try Madisound - tell them your 2 givens - maybe they'll respond with suggested drivers if you tell them you'll pay for them to design a crossover (I think they are the least expensive source for basic crossover design).
    THEN, there's DOOR NUMBER THREE!:
    Ditch 'em and buy a currently available quality kit. There are several sources.

Whew! I had a rare attack of patience tonight! I hope it passes by tomorrow morning[​IMG]

18. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

Ditch the caps lock, people don't appreciate being shouted at: THEN, there's DOOR NUMBER THREE!

Oh I thought it was rude.
    My bad, I work in Autocad all day so I forgot to turn it off.

PierreC - "Patience grasshopper, " I take thqt as a racist comment and I would appreciate it if you retracted that statement with an appology.

"Then I hope the irony of this thread in this forum area hasn't been lost on you... " and this has nothing to do with DIY...... UH HUH !?!?!

"Whew! I had a rare attack of patience tonight! I hope it passes by tomorrow morning " maybe some pepto will help

19. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

BTW GUYS, i FOUND IT!!!! YES I MEAN TO SHOUT CAUSE IM VERY HAPPY

When I emailed the driver # to myself, I guess I typed it wrong. its from MCM (thank you Dave P) and its the 55-1510
    http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...jsp?id=55-1510

I guess Ill have to pop the tweeter and read the xover. Gosh if I can recreate these speakers, then I can return the originals to the original owner....?!?!?

20. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Hmm ...

I have suspicions that Mike and Jesse are related to each other.

Mike, Thanks for providing the update. Glad you are happy.

No problem, I'm just thankful that you don't work at a nuclear facility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.