What's new

i now know i can resist the devil's temptations.... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
just like indiana jones did when he didn't look into the ark. just like luke did when he didn't go down the dark side. just like that elf chick did when she didn't take the ring -- i now know i have the strengh and willpower to do the same. my future entrance into the pearly gates is ensured.

how do i know this? i will now tell you.

last night, i had IN MY HANDS the new star-wars trilogy dvd box-set. there must have been a couple hundred sitting there, on the floor, just staring back at me.

i looked at them in awe. i picked one up (IN MY HANDS), still unsure if i was hallucinating or not. i gently caressed the case, looked lovingly over the artwork. i gently tapped it against my skull to make sure it was solid.

i began to think about it. yes, i admit it. i was going to go out to the register and have it rung up. i was already envisioning myself at home, watching this on my 65" rptv, sub-woofer cranked up (just a tad...for the special occasion), just wondering what the death-star explosion would sound like.

all this flashed in my mind within seconds. i couldn't put it back...i just couldn't. i walked with it IN MY HANDS and proceeded towards the warehouse door. i actually got out onto the floor with the thing...IN MY HANDS.

was it worth it i asked myself? was this something i could live with the rest of my life? or is it a secret i was willing to take the the grave?

well, at the very last moment (i could see the digital clock countdown in my head...it read "00:00:03"), i decided it wasn't right. it wasn't a good thing. the negative karma energy would engulf me ten-fold if i did this. the world would cease to exist as we know it.

i'm so proud of myself today. i feel like i could climb a mountain, jump out of an airplane ... or even get the f**k back to work.

edit - i just realized this post has kind of a religious tone to it...sorry not the intent. i'm just being stupid. if a mod wants to edit my title/content -- feel free.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
I, for one, applaud your strength of will power, your intestinal fortitude, your belief in the Light Side of the Force.

You are indeed a SuperTed

You've taken your first step into a larger world...

Besides, we've waited for YEARS, what's another 6 days?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeh, but not the ORIGINAL PEARLY GATES (OPG). You'll just be able to enter St.Peter's bastardized SE+ version of the pearly gates with terrible CGI clouds and a stupid non-puppet cherub that's missing the matte lines we all know and love. Not to mention the unmentionable changes to the arias and the harp music. $t. Peter's nothing but a money grubbing egomaniac that cares nothing about the true fans of the OPG.

ARRRRGH!!! ST. PETER STOLE MY CHILDHOOD!!!!!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If I found it at Dollar Tree before the street date I would not buy it if it didn't include the ORIGINAL versions!

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, your ironic/mocking post there was hilarious. :laugh:

ST PETER STOLE MY CHILDHOOD!! That was the killer :laugh:

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
C'mon Jesse, if you found it at the Dollar Tree, you could buy it there, sell it on eBay for at least $25, and then set that money aside for that momentous day when the clouds part, the sun shines down, and you can have your precious OT as part of the super-deluxe-this-time-we're-really-not-kidding-and-we-know-you're-gonna-buy-it-again-anyway-edition in 2017...

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
"THETED, this is Obi Wan. Yoooou have disrupted the force immensely...I have implanted an explosive device in this droid. Go into Toshi Station to pick up some
power converters, then bring them back to the store, hot wire the converters into the R2 unit's interface and burn every copy of the trilogy. Then repeat this at every Best Buy location, It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home. Help TheTed, you're my only hope. BTW... Zen is your father"

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

In that case, as a resident of this world, I'd just like to say thanks.

Jeff, that post was great, regarding the Special Edition of the Pearly Gates...it came straight out of that thread in software in terms of how ou perfectly captured part of the attitude.

Well done!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
After having such filth IN YOUR HANDS, I hope you at least washed your hands after you came to your senses. ;)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Zen doesn't look like that anymore, Sugartastic T. He's been replaced by a halo version of Hayden Christiansen.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Rub some silica on it too. Maybe it will absorb the cheesy gobley gook stuck to your hands. BTW, I'm sooo much hotter than Hayden Christiansen. :)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
What was the price? That's the only thing that would have kept me from buying it.

You would have done nothing wrong by buying it.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Zen, we all know that a comparison between you and Hayden would be similar to one I saw this morning on Sportscenter with Bernie Mac (promoting "Mr. 3000"), where Dan Patrick asked him who was better looking, George Clooney or Brad Pitt. Bernie said that most women he knows prefer Brad Pitt, as they would surely also say in this situation: Hayden is "cute," but Zen is "fine"!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dunno chris. i decided i didn't want to scan it, since that usually entails me entering my employee number! :)

my only issue with buying it would be that i could have (albeit a near nil-possibility) gotten my employer in trouble for breaking street-date.

otherwise i would have been all over it like white on rice.

----

oh zen, you're so fine
you're so fine
you blow my mind
hey zen! (clap clap, clap clap)
hey zen! (clap clap, clap clap)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have a similar, though different, "resistance" story relating to Star Wars. My Amazon order shipped (it won't arrive before street date anyway), but the Share-The-Love discounts were left out. For background, my total order was about US$179, STL discount was about $13, shipping about $21, for a total of $197.

I wrote to ask that the $13 be refunded to me. I got an email apologizing for the snafu, and a second email confirming the refund of $13. I then had a third email, same as the second but confirming a refund of $179!

In essence, if I kept my mouth shut, my entire order would cost me less than $5.

Did I keep quiet? I was tempted to, but it would be dishonest, so no, I've emailed them about their mistake. I did ask that a modest discount be applied if they charge my card yet again, since I lose out on exchange rate differences each time something gets charged and refunded; hopefully, they'll think it's all too much hassle and tell me to "keep the refund" -- but that seems unlikely. But my conscience is clear.

Ted, what's the problem? You weren't stealing the discs, and street date is honoured more in its breach than its adherence, so big deal, and what's the point of employee perks if you don't take advantage of something like early access? After all, you just wanted one set for yourself, not as if you were going to buy several and hawk them on the street corner for a premium to die-hards who can't wait.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ted,

I'm not sure I understand your tale.

You had the new SW-trilogy box set in your hand and then the Devil came and whispered into your ear it wasn't right and you should put it down and not buy it? Or at least be a masochist and wait several days? And then you finally didn't buy it actually?

What strength does that prove? I'm confused. You gave in!

Or am I mistaken and do you tell us that you told *him* to go away behind you and then proceeded to triumphantly march to the cash register and acquire it anyway?

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.