What's new

I now have Machine Shop access...now, what to build? (1 Viewer)

Jay_H

Auditioning
What about something like a horseshoe-shaped extrusion to serve as a cabinet, with brackets to allow easy mounting of a flat MDF or BB baffle and top/bottom plates?

Peace,

Jay

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Tony, Brett beat me to my #1 suggestion. I'd do spikes in a hard aluminum alloy. How about an aluminum front baffle, machine out the driver cutouts - use thick aluminum so you could also machine a recess for flush mounting. Drill symetrically-placed holes to attach to an MDF cabinet.

A

Anthony_Gomez

hmmm.....good ideas. something like one of the Krell speakers (but with a superior XO of course :))
spikes would be a nice starting project.
I was also thinking about something like a class A amp case, but I know jack #$(* about amplifier design and would likely just create a ball of fire.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Ohh not to get off topic *technicaly these are machined*
I ordered a set of the brass adjustable isolation spikes
from Parts Express ($20.00 for 4) and they came today.
I am going to use these to isolate my new turntable when
it gets here..
I just wanted to say if you are looking for adjustable
spiked isolators these things are gorgeous, polished, heavy
brass *and I mean HEAVY* and for $20.00 they blow the Lovan
Isolators away and are 1/4 the price (The 4 Lovan's retail
for $100.00)
Just thought i'd share :)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brett has a point about brass - the weight/mass might be better for component isolation use. I was suggesting a hard aluminum alloy for tower speakers or monitor speaker stand spikes because of the weight the tips would have to bear.
Tony, you could do blank aluminum front and rear panels and take orders for custom hole drilling from DIY amp builders who don't have access to nice heavy aluminum panels.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hank...it is possible, but I would like to get some more practice before entertaining the idea of outside work.
Since it is an NC shop and not a CNC shop I can't just type it in and have it automated. Maybe we will get those sometime in the future though.
For now, it is just a few milling machines, bandsaw, drill press, lathes, and a bunch of other equipent that "I" can't use (not in the student shop, but I could have one of the on site machinists help me out :))

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
People keep saying hard aluminum alloy, I say go for the T7075 stuff. I don't think it gets much better than that, It's the same alloy I use for my RC car chassis's. :) The next metal would be heavier titanium which would be overkill IMO.
Here are some ideas:
Metal DVD rack, Speaker stand, heatsinks, isolation platforms, speaker terminal, a center channel swivel mount, a horn, cable spacers, video shields.
Heck, I'd probably use the shop to build armor plating to add to my 2nd sub to add an industrial machinery look to it with bolts. heh
Oh, I also thought it would be neat to build a textured teflon mouse pad. Or how about 4" solid metal legs for subwoofers with sockets for spikes, or perhaps machine your own speaker grill.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Make a nice Tempered Glass Plat for a TurnTable (Be sure to
machine the glass with a diamond...) then make a nice set
of polished brass legs to support the plat.. :)
Or machine a nice 2" thick Arcrylic Plat...
Sorry I am stuck on this whole turntable phase right now..
:D
Hmm how about a 2" thick Billet Aluminium (T6) Subwoofer
Enclosure... Argh!

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
Please Make me a Time Machine so I can go back to the Past and Grab all that Money I lost..

:=)

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks