1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

I now have dScaler, Radeon and I/O Magic, now for tweaks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wookie Groomer, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

I have gone out and purchased a I/O magic card and a ATI Radeon 7000 ($80 at CompUSA and has the adaptive de-interlacing). I replaced my Asus V7700 hoping the ATI would output a sharper image but I'm not sure that it does, it looks good though.
    Anyway, my one and only priority for this little test was to playback the Star Wars Trilogy SE on Laserdisc. After all is hooked up and configured I am very impressed but want to squeeze a little bit more out of the arrangement if possible. I compared an old Straightwire composite video to a BetterCables S-video and the S cable produced a slightly but noticeably better image. The Straightwire was 1 meter and the Bettercables was 5 meter. I wonder if a 1 meter composite of the Bettercables would look better than the 5 meter S cable? I thought composite video was suppose to be better of the two on lower end LD players.
    I want to know if there is a way I can increase the resolution or sharpness of the image. It looks too soft for my taste and I want to boost that a little. Also, I had problems with RED PUSH but managed to use dScalers U V color adjustments to reduce it to a hardly noticeable level. I hooked up my DVD player via S-cable and used Avia and color filters for that. I almost gave up completely because of the color defect in the Mitsu. Pisses me off!!!!!&%$#$@@ [​IMG]
    So basicaly, I want to get more resolution out of it and thought maybe there was a registry entry I could change or ini file I could tweak to engage something that would open up the image some more.
    Secondly, I need to know if dScaler and Powerstrip get along before I spent money and settle down on a BetterCables VGA breakout to use in my DTV input.
    Just for the record, I have a Mitsubishi WS65857 hooked up only with a crappy 640x480 VGA cable (two of them hooked together so I know a BetterCables VGA run would improve things). Very shortly I plan to get a VGA breakout ONLY if Powerstrip at 1080i and dScaler will work together. I am happy with the VGA only connection I am using but want to know if by using Powerstrip and running at a higher res I can squeeze more detail out of the laserdisc's. If this will not make a difference or even work then I will get a BetterCables VGA only and not a breakout.
    I am using this configuration strictly for video processing and not gaming. MY priority is PICTURE QUALITY
    Thanks

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Hi,

What OS are you using, and what CPU & Motherboard?

also, have you tried the Calibration feature of Dscaler itself?

3. Wookie Groomer

I am running an Athlon 1ghz on a Asus AV7 (if I rememebr right) and Win98SE.

I tried the auto calibrate feature but it turned everything yellow. i just want added resolution. I have it tweaked to my liking other than that.

4. ArtyK

ArtyK Auditioning

I'm not familiar with your Mitsubishi but as long as its HD compatible you should have no problem using a higher resolution using powerstrip/dscaler. I would try 1280x480p for video sources and 1440x480p for DVD. both should produce an outstanding picture. Be sure you use the correct timings for 480p which I'm pretty sure are provided in some of the default powerstrip settings. While some people have had success under win98, using interlaced resolutions such as 960i and 1080i are often problematic. You are welcome to try but most people are quite pleased with 480p on a RPTV.

Hope this helps

5. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

shawn, as you may have read elsewhere one thing that can sharpen up the image is by going into the advanced menu, and under advanced video flags, you should check "even luma peaking" and "odd luma peaking".

you can also play around with the pixel width settings to see if you get a better picture as well.

6. Wookie Groomer

Thanks

I did "discover" these settings and have played with them.

After enough tweaking I can honestly say that I am really enjoying LD now. The HTPC is looking good! I just ordered a BetterCables VGA to tighten things up. I was running two generic VGA cables hooked together to my TV before I decided to stick with the plan and spend money on the BC VGA. But now I'm hooked and love it.

7. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

cool, I was prepared to attack with ArtyK's captures from dscaler, in case you needed more convincing. [​IMG]