I noticed that 20 Century Fox has movie rights to Fantastic Four and X-Men.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tom_mkfty, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

Marvel owns the rights to, X4, due to the recent Fantastic Four and X-Men team-up comic book mini series.

A Fantastic Four and X-Men movie would be possible.

I don't think 20 Century Fox has the movie rights to Spider-Man.

Who has the movie rights to Superman and Batman?

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Comic book crossovers have absolutely nothing to do with movie rights. On the comic boook side Marvel owns the rights to FF and X-Men because they own the rights to FF and X-Men. On the movie side the titles are governed by contract. The studios generally end up with rights to a title and at least "x" number of sequels, plus the essentially unlimited right to eventually remake any of the films they produce. Different Marvel titles have been sold at different times to different studios, and in those case there could not be a cross-over. (Columbia Pictures produced the Spiderman films, so don't expect to see the web-head in any upcoming X-Men pictures. At one time Marvel sold the rights to the character of the Thing to one studio for solo animated cartoon series, and was then approached by another studio about a Fantastic Four show. So they replaced Ben Grimm with a stupid robot for the FF series.)

Superman and Batman are owned by DC comics, which in turn is owned by Time-Warner, Inc., which also owns Warner Bros. Studios. So in that case things are a little easier. The movie arm of the company has the rights to the products of the comic book arm. Far from being owned by a studio Marvel is becoming a mini-studio of its own (at least as far as rights and project development) but partners with major studios because it lacks production facilities and much of the rest of the studio infrastructure. The two comic book companies work on very different business models when it comes to adaptations of their books.

Regards,

Joe

3. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

Actually, it was the Human Torch who was replaced by the annoying H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot.

4. JoSAN

JoSAN Second Unit

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

"Thing rings - do your THING!" That was such a bizarre cartoon because not only would the kid physically transform into the Thing, his personality would change, too, into that sort of Jimmy Durante parody that the Thing was in the old comics. "What a revoltin' development! Ah-cha-cha!"

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the way i understood it, Human Torch = fire which was thought to be to inappropriate for saturday morning cartoon fare at the time (fearing that the pre-adolescants watching it might be tempted to play with fire) hence the replacemnt with the innocuous robot.
    the 60s series had the torch, but the seventies seemed to be the rise of consumer advocacy and networks became more circumspect in regards to kids tv programming and generally erred on the side of caution.

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I wish these hero movies would at least mention that their are other heroes out there. I know its harder with Marvel because they have deals with different studios. That is why in Daredevil the reporter worked for the NY Post instead of the Bugle, which was used in the Spidey movies. I think Marvel should insist in the movie licenses that other franchises can mention characters from other franchises.

8. JoSAN

JoSAN Second Unit

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

JoSan,
    Thanks for the info. I am not saying that they should have other heroes make appearances (although, that would be cool.) I am talking about little things...For example Jameson making a comment like "First that Daredevil nut, now this guy dressed like a spider."

10. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

Technically... they can have a X-Men and FF crossover on screen since they're both made by Fox can't they?

I think that DC/Warner has the best combination. Crossovers are limitless in those worlds, just look at Smallville and with the kid who would become Flash guest starring in the past season.

11. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Actually, I've heard that there will be a bit of a crossover between X-Men and FF. There is supposed to be a shot of a photo taken on the X2 set of the president character, Col. Stryker and Senator Kelly. They then photoshopped Julian McMahon's head on top of Senator Kelly, and put the picture in the film somewhere. I don't know if the shot will make the final cut, and even if it does it will probably be very subtle, but it is a tiny easter egg to look out for.

12. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

All the Marvel movies are tied up between different studios (Fox owns "X-Men", "Daredevil", "Elektra" and "Fantastic Four", Sony owns "Spider-Man", New Line owns "Blade", Lion's Gate owns "Punisher") but I wish they could work out a little bit of continuity. Ben Urich is a Daily Bugle reporter in the "Spider-Man" and "Daredevil" comics but he had to be changed to a New York Post reporter in Fox's "Daredevil" because Sony owns the Bugle from their "Spider-Man" rights. I would like to see the studios cooperating a little bit in terms of stuff like that. The character of Ray Nicolette appears in "Rum Punch" and "Out of Sight", 2 Elmore Leonard novels. Miramax made "Rum Punch" as "Jackie Brown" and Universal made "Out of Sight". Michael Keaton appears as the character in both films because Universal asked Miramax if they could basically borrow the character and they agreed. I don't think the inclusion of the Daily Bugle in "Daredevil" would have had any effect on Sony's Spidey box office.

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Thats what I was mentioning earlier. Make it a requirement to get that franchise. That small crossovers can happen. What are they going to do??..say no? Especially, if its a big property.

14. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Supporting Actor

I thought one of the problems the studio was having with X-Men was the fact that it was an expensive ensemble cast. There was talk of spinning off Wolverine, etc. Based on that, I don't see the advantage (to the studio) of bringing in more characters that require more screen time and dilute the plot.

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

remind me were this happened in spider-man 2.

16. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I don't think crossing is a good idea...especially spidey/daredevil. Especially since the "spidey" world is supposedly "real" NY, whereas the Daredevil NY is a way sylized version. Just my 2 cents.

17. JoSAN

JoSAN Second Unit

18. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    ok i knew about that but cameo = appearance so i thought i missed him popping up in the movie.

19. JoSAN

JoSAN Second Unit

20. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    thats ok i'm easily confused[​IMG]