What's new

I never would try tubes for amplification (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Please pardon my question, because I truly do not know the answer yet: what parameters of (certain) tube amps would cause them to have more accurate bass than a solid state amp? Thanks.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Lee, the $300 mark II upgrade includes stock tubes upgraded to Mullards 8080s, doubling the powersupply capacitance (all CJD poly caps, no electrolytics) and having all resistors upgraded to 1% metal film resistors used in their premier line. Do you think it would be worthwhile upgrading to the series II?

Joe, the mark I uses Sovteks I think and they sound fabulous to my ears already. Cant imagine what the Mullards would sound like.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Yogi, it seems like a good idea... but isn't that an upgrade you can do yourself for one-third the cost? Pop in the new tubes, re-bias the amp and you're 80% there. The power supply capacitance may help make the sound stronger, though depending how the amp is built you might have to solder to upgrade it (I sincerely hope they are electrolytic, by the way :)), and resistors won't make much difference.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Michael,

The upgrade to Mark II was for the preamp. Also I might be able to do the upgrade myself but will I open up an already great sounding preamp under full warranty to mod it is another question. Also why do you want the powersupply caps to be electrolytic? The preamp doesnt require as much filter capacitance as an amp and baring physical size poly caps are faster, less noisier (lower ESR and leakage current) and better overall than electrolytics, IMHO. I can't comment on resistors effecting sound or not.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Yogi,

I guess it might be the case because tube circuits running at higher voltages might not need as high a capacitance value as solid state equipment, making film caps a possibility. (I have one tube schematic, of the ASL AV-20 amp, and there's about 270uf per channel; the largest film caps I know of are in the 30uf range, and they're huge. For comparison many solid state amps use 100,000uf+ albeit at much lower voltages.) But if they are indeed all film... I want to see a picture of the inside of that thing! :) (I know it will sound great.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks