I never thought I would see this (re:tv on dvd)...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, Jan 4, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was doing my daily check of news updates from www.tvshowsondvd.com and was shocked to see that the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries is coming to dvd.
    It got me thinking that I never thought I would see the days where I would be getting this and other shows on dvd and usually with complete seasons. I always figured big shows like Star Trek and Twilight Zone would come. But, its the little known shows that has excited me the most. Especially, the shows which are hardly or never in syndication. I used to tape shows onto vhs for years I thought this was the only way I would have these. I would tape up to 14 different shows this year. But, with the continued release of even new shows on dvd. This is the first time in over 14 years I haven't recorded any show for a permanent collection.

So kudos to the studios for giving me my shows back.

2. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

I agree. With all those cable channels in existence, there are still so many shows that can only be seen on DVD. I never expected to see shows like Punky Brewster, Greatest American Hero, and Jem on DVD, but I'm real glad that they are out there. I know when I go on this site or TVshowsonDVD that there's potential for a pleasant suprise.

Sure, sometimes a show so obscure comes out that I wonder why it is there instead of a more-loved program, but as is said sometimes here, every show is somebody's favorite.

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I never expected complete seasons of Survivor to be on DVD (although words cannot express how happy I am that they are releasing them). Did I mention that I'm glad they released these?

The Critic was one I thought was doomed to Comedy Central reruns at 2 AM.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    "Smaller" shows, the ones that didn't run very long, generally aren't a good bet for cable or broadcast reruns. While a Sci-Fi Channel or other specialty network might score a few ratings point with a "chain reaction" or all day marathon of an obscure show on a Saturday or a holiday. The shows are worthless in "regular" rerun slots because they burn out too soon - if you've only got twenty episodes of a show it will run four weeks in a Monday-Friday "strip" before you have to cycle back around to the first episode and start over. That's way too soon - not enough time for viewers to forget plot details of a drama or at least some of the jokes in a comedy. People start tuning out.

TV on DVD gives the studios a chance to do something they've never been able to do before - make their money back on failed shows. All those Tim Conway series that never made it past 13 weeks might have a shot at making it to the market. While full-blown special editions with tons of extras can be pricey, the basic fixed costs of digitizing old shows is coming down as the technology matures, and hi-def masters done for DVD today can be reused for HD reissues of these shows later. The nature of the shows and periodic waves of nostalgia probably mean that a lot of them will be slow but steady sellers over many years, rather than best-sellers for a few weeks. So these shows can offer a decent return over time on a fairly modest investment. (Discounting the original production costs, which have long-since been recouped by charging off the losses against the profits of successful series.)

Regards,

Joe

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Millennium almost seems to be more well-known now than when it was airing thanks to the DVDs.

And my biggest example would be Harsh Realm. They only aired three episodes on Fox before being cancelled (the other six episodes were shown on FX later). But thanks to the miracle of DVD, they are available on DVD.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Joe, its funny you mention Scifi channel. When it really was the Scifi channel a few years ago. They used to be the only source for old scifi/fantasy shows. Now, forget about it. All they air are B-movie and other junk.

7. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Hi, all.

I was also very surprised to see the HB/ND series DVD release post on my other favorite site (Gord's TV/DVD site [​IMG] )

This series is definitly one that I'd not have expected Universal to release to DVD.

Todd, Joe, great posts. I'm still amazed at the great posts I'm seeing on HTF. Dave L (TV/DVD site) was right when he recommend to check out HTF. Super [​IMG] site and posters [​IMG]

- Jeff Willis