What's new

I never realized that HDTV was so complicated! (1 Viewer)

John CW

Supporting Actor
Can anyone help me here? I keep learning about HDTV and the more I learn the less it seems I know! I think I understand the basics now (720p converted to 1080i, DVI connections etc) but I want to be able to watch DISH on a KV-34XBR800 and I'm totally confused as to what to do!

DISH seem more complicated than anything else! Apparently I need a HDTV satellite reciever (Model 6000) for $499. But do I need a seperate TUNER for my HDTV?? Can it handle the signal from the reciever correctly?

Is there a newbie, step-by-step guide to HDTV anywhere, because I have no idea how so many people have managed to figure all this out!

Thanks for any help!

~ Johnny

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Since you already know that there are 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i formats, the first thing you need to do is find out which format(s) the dish receiver (such as the model 6000 you are looking at) outputs, most likely there is a choice of S-video 480i (downrezzed to standard definition in terms of quality) and component video 1080i. Then, if your TV takes 1080i input, almost all HDTV sets do, you are all set to enjoy dish HDTV.

Normally when you have a cable box with HDTV features or a dish receiver with HDTV features, you do not need in addition a regular over the air HDTV set top Tuner box. The rare box that also requires an over the air HDTV tuner box will have no colored RCA jacks in back, only a screw on coax jack for output.

Also note that component video (approx. red/white/blue) and RGB are not interchangeable just by using cables. Most entertainment video equipment does not output only RGB or require only RGB for input although the cables themselves can be the same. Still you should check the respective equipment instructions, and the novice is better off sticking to HDTV equipment that will work with component video.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Hi Johnny,

You can use the Dish 6000 with that TV no problem. You will connect the 6000 to the Sony via component video. In the Dish 6000 set up menu, you will select 1080i. I would also connect the 6000 with an "S" video connector. When watching non-HDTV, you will get the proper black level for non-component video and you may get less artifacts by using the "S" video input on the TV. The 6000 has a simple switch both on the front panel and the remote control to switch between HD and SD.

To preserve the life of the TV, use the PRO or Movie mode of the set.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
John,

The Dish 6000 will tune HD and regular ntsc from the satellite. It requires a plug-in module to get local HDTV from a separate over-the-air antenna, none of the locals off the dish are in HD. This module used to be $150 extra but it's my understanding that it is now included with new 6000 units.

John CW

Supporting Actor
SteveS: Actually, where I live I think its impossible to recieve normal antenna broadcasts... We only ever use DISH to recieve local and national network stations, so I guess it doesn't matter either way :frowning:

Thanks to everyone, though! Your answers make HDTV seem a lot less daunting, thanks! Shame there seems to be hidden costs (the new cable reciever etc) but I guess its good they're not charging any extra for the broadcasts themselves!

Thanks a lot!!

~ Johnny

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Johnny,

Dish started providing CBS HD recently in markets served by CBS-owned stations, so you might be able to get CBS HD from them. It seems that Dish is also trying to get more HD locals on board.

Also, you might want to check here to see if there's digital/HD OTA broadcasts available in your location:

www.antennaweb.org

Even though you haven't been able to receive normal analog OTA broadcasts, doesn't mean it's impossible to receive the digital ones although it does reduce the likelihood substantially.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks