What's new

I need your honest opinion...vtf-3 or svs pci 20-39 (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
OK..then Edward is not saying the STF-2/VTF-2 will not satisfy?

You are right Jack...facts are facts.

I respect Edward's opinions, he and I have "mixed" it up before, but can you show me where Edward has written facts and which are opinion?

I know Ed knows his facts, but lets help folks differentiate his facts from his opinions.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Only if you have not heard better. Imagine someone telling you that they are "satisfied" with their Toyota Supra and they have not ever experienced driving a Porsche 911. This is my problem with most things is that I know I won't be satisfied now that I've heard what I've heard. I know better is out there so I'm saving up for the better product for longer term satisfaction.

Ed I think has the same problem. He wouldn't be satisfied with the STF-2. I'd be willing to bet he would do the same thing I would in that he would not use a sub until he could get what he likes. To me its a much more sane approach to purchasing equipment. I think there is a point where it gets ridiculous but spending say $1,200 for a sub isn't in that category.

Wives/SO's/friends like to ask "Why do you need X when you already own Y".

Bob_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
All I have to say is, you guys kick ass.

Thanks for all the input.

I think that I'm going to give the SVS pci 20-39 a whirl.

For two main reasons:

One, I think that the Hsu vtf-3 mkII might be a little too much sub for me in my current location. I still have to be a "bit" curitous of my neibhor benith me. God knows we all love to be shaking durring the depth charge sceens in U-571, but thats US....not our neibhors.

Two, as like everything else in life it comes down to money. Now even though it's only 100 difference, when you have a 1000 a month apt rental and sell cars and work strictly on commision 100 dollars is everything.

Thanks again to all of the replys, never could I have made such an intelligent decision with out your help. oh yeah one last thing....

God rest my neibhors soul......

bob

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
And its controllable too IMHO. God save me if I could upgrade every year like some. Then again I'm probably better off :)

BrianAe

Second Unit
Curtis,

The Aperion Audio 10" sub is 499 shipped. I compared it in my house to the vtf-2 and can tell you that while the vft-2 is a great sub, the Aperion is noticeably better sonically and looks much much nicer. Worth the extra 50-75 bucks IMHO.

That being said, I think you are right on in saying that a high quality 10" sub can work great for many people. The Aperion (and the HSU) put out high quality tight base. I measured the Aperion in my home to play fairly flat down to 25hz at 90DB in a large listening area, with a gradual fall off down to 20hz.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Bob,

In case you didn't know, the STF-3, which right now has close to the same capabilities as the VTF-3MK2 in max extension mode, has the same finish as the Ascends you are getting, and is the same price as the 20-39PCi.

You should be able to get a nice package price with it from Ascend as well.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Brian,

My friend has the 12" Aperion sub....but I have not really got a good listen to it, she has it in a terrible room.

One thing for sure, it is much better looking than my VTF-3.

Bob_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis,

Strangley enough, I asked asced about package deals, and all they do is sell you the HSU product for the price listed on HSU's website. The ascend surround is 858 + HSU price.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I really like the Ascends. If my system was in a dedicated theater (No Waf), I might have chosen them over my Aperion monitors. You might want to also consider the Aperion 12" sub though. That's what I upgraded to.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Jumping back in here a little late......

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of fairness or price. It's more a matter of the product meeting someone's personal performance standards. Once the standard is met, the price falls into place.

My personal minimum standard for a subwoofer is that calibrated flat, it must easily handle (i.e., uncompressed peaks with no audible stress or distortion) -15RL at the seat. For most DVDs and with the speakers set to small, that equates to about 105 dB bass peaks at the seat.

I think my personal standard is both reasonable and common, and that is why I suggested Bob stick with the 12" units from either Hsu or SVS.

With that said, each person has different performance standards, and is free to disagree with me. For another person - as Curtis rightly said - the STF-2 might be perfectly suitable. Just because it doesn't meet my personal criteria doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad subwoofer. As 10" subs go, I think it stands up well against its like-priced competition.

Ed

Ray**W

Auditioning
Bob,

I just came across your post. I have a 20-39PCi. Let me describe my situation.

I have a 22x16 room (10'ceilings), door way opens to kitchen on the left and there is an additional 4x5 openinginto the kitchen. I use a Denon 1803. I am a happy new Axiom owner (M60/VP100/QS8). Since this is pretty much a carbon copy of your setup, I'll share my SVS experience (the speakers are calibrated with a Radio Shack analog SPL meter).

The 20-39 is more than enough for the room and I have the gain at about 45% of max. After calibration, the speakers are all set on the 1803 right within 1 or 2 db of 0. The sub is set at +1.

I listen normally at -30 to -22, depending on what I'm watching (and where my wife is lurking). When watching movies or I'm really into a CD, I may get the 1803 to -15 to -10. After that, I begin bleeding from all of my orifices.

I made the mistake of watching LOTR-Fellowship at -15, with the sub @ +4db on the 1803. There were places where I thought the world was coming to an end. The scene in the Mines of Moria where the hobbit knocks the suit of armor into the well just creeps up and hits you in the chest.

Finally, I have an MX-700 remote and it allowed me to set up a page for all the speakers/sub. From this page, I adjust each speaker up or down a db at a time. I like to run the sub a few db hot for movies and then take it back down for music.

Whew - that took a while. Here is the net of my diatribe. For your/my room and receiver, the SVS 20-39 PCi is an excellent choice. Gives you all the LFE you need effortlessly and there is lots more available. The LFE is crisp, tight, defined - all the things you want it to be. It is NOT boomy or muddy. There is no downside and you will be very pleased with it.

Oops - there is some downside. You will be very busy dusting your neighbor off whenever you use the thing.

This is not a "I have one so you should get one" response. The thing is just that good. Good luck with it.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

Thanks Edward.

Bob,

With whatever sub that is on your list, combined with the Ascends, will spoil you. For me, I am very critical of the audio now when I go to theaters. I just saw "Miracle", and I want it on DVD just so I can hear the soundtrack on my system.

Alex Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
Good choice with the svs. I also have ascends but not much of a package deal to add a hsu sub. having owned both.....I prefer the svs. Their customer service is first rate also....Hsu gave me the run around with my sub.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,
Go with SVS, you will not regret it.

Edward,
Thanks for your posts on this thread (and your comments on other threads as well, they have taught me much). Nice to see that my ears agreed with your measurements on the STF-2. My impression was that the HT experience was lacking compared to the PB1-ISD I now own. I now know that it measures as it sounds.

Alex,
Thought I was the only one who has had bad experiences with Hsu. Folks always lump SVS and Hsu together as good on the customer service side, but my dealings with both companies has shown this to be incorrect. Might not have returned the STF-2 had Hsu not treated me so poorly. Hindsight being 20/20, it was one of the best things I could have done, as my PB1 is a much better sub and my dealings with SVS made me feel even better about my purchase.

Curtis,
My home HT has spoiled me as well. I haven't been in a theater in a while and don't plan of going back soon. Last movie I saw was "Brother Bear" in a theater with blown speakers. They had to be, as the distortion was overwhelming (thought my kids did like the movie). And for the price of the tickets I could buy the soon-to-be-out DVD twice over.

Great thread, thanks all.

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
For customer service. You can't go wrong with Aperion. They even send you a "Cleaning kit" including a pair of white gloves to keep fingerprints to a minimum.
Also no sales tax and free shipping. I can't even imagine how much shipping would be on a 60-something pound sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks