1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I need your help...DLP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff_Rice, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Jeff_Rice

Jeff_Rice Agent

First, I want to say this site is amazing and it has so much info. Right now I am over loaded on what to do with purchase of the 4805. My wife agreed with my decision and I am ready to take the plunge. First a little about my newly finished basement: The drop ceiling is 7ft tall, I have no ambient light problems. I can get the basement pitch black so I am not worried about incoming light. I will be sitting about 10-14 ft. back from the screen and plan on mounting the projector 12 ft from the screen. I also plan get an 88" (16:9, 1:78:1) screen. Question: Is this ok for mounting the projector 12' back?

Question: mounting the 4805 to the ceiling at a 7' foot ceiling, ok?

Question: What screen did most of you guys get? I read what most people have a preference but it seems the consesus is white (HCCV from Da-Lite or Classic Cinema White from Carada).

My current setup is everything going through my Denon 3801 receiver. Xbox (s-video), Direct TV (s-video), dvd player (s-video) and then one s-video cable from receiver to TV (going to replace by InFocus 4805). Question: Would that be ok for the projector? If you have a better way to get a better picture please tell me and the best way to hook it up. I need to know because I will buy longer cables (about 25ft).

Note: My dvd player is older (no progressive, will upgrade in a few months). I am not hooking this to my PC. Direct TV I have is not HD just SD.

Again, thanks for all your help and I am excited to hear your responses.

2. John S

John S Producer

I think all of those sources, can be Component Video, you really should try to at least get that going from each source, makes a substantial difference, on the output side of things, in my experiences even 480i on component is better than svideo by a substantial margin. Especially with a screen size that large.

3. SteveMass

SteveMass Auditioning

I am using a basic Da-lite Matte White screen. You will find that the 4805 is plenty bright. My theatre is in a light controlled basement as well. I wanted a large viewing angle so I did not go for a high gain screen. Higher gain is nice if you are looking for more image punch - but the drawbacks are they are more expensive and generally have a more narrow viewing angle. I would advise you to get the projector set up and project on your bare wall to see what you think of the picture. If you like what you see you probably do not need a high gain screen.

As far as the hook ups are concerned - component video is the way to go. I use an HTPC. Good luck with your new projector [​IMG]

4. Jeff_Rice

Jeff_Rice Agent

Thanks fellas.