What's new

I need YOUR Advice --- I'm about to finally take the HD Plunge! (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Okay....

I've just about made up my mind.

I'm looking at buying this TV:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....6&type=product

(Mitsubishi 65" Widescreen HD-Ready Rear-Projection TV Model: WS-65315)

I just wanted to get your opinions about it. I know Sony makes a model similar. But, I am told Mits are the best for this kind of set.

Are there any negatives about this set?

Also, I had a couple of questions related.....

1. I currently don't own a progressive DVD player. Do you recommend one? I;ve heard the TV can do almost the same function. If you do recommend I get a progressive scan player, which one do you recommend? I know I want to avoid the "chroma bug." My current DVD player is the Panasonic RV80 -- but it's not progressive, of course.

2. Will this TV be perfectly compatiable for any future HD/Blu Ray format?

Thanks!

Craig

Second Unit
Your RV80 should work fine, and it also looks like it has a DVI/HDCP connection, so I think you should be fine as far as future HD material (at least as far as anyone knows now).

I know that there are a lot of people who are happy with their Mitsubishis, so unless someone comes up with something specific as far as problems with this particular TV, I'd say go for it.

It's good you have your selection narrowed down to a particular model, you can drive yourself nuts running back and forth betweens sets. I've had my 56" Toshiba for 5 years now and haven't regretted spending the $4K for a single second.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Craig,

So my TV would do the progressive scanning, right?
Is there a benefit to getting an actual progressive scan DVD player?

Thanks.

Craig

Second Unit
Your TV would convert the incoming 480i(interlaced) signal to 480P (progressive). If you look at the specs from your link for the TV you'll see "480p upconversion system with Automatic Film Mode (3-2 pulldown)", which refers to the progressive scan conversion process, as well as 3-2 pulldown, which refers to compensating for the frame rate difference between film and video sources.

Whether or not you would see a difference with a prog scan player depends on how well your TV upconverts to 480P versus how well the player does. A very good prog scan player would probably outperform your TV on a technical level, but whether or not you would see a big difference is up in the air.

I wouldn't worry about the DVD player too much at first unless you're trying to get a package deal.

If you haven't already found the Secrets of Hi-Fi site, you can get some more info on DVD players (and other gear).

Player tests

Secrets Home Page

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Craig.

I was looking at the Panasonic XP30 --- saw the review from the site you mentioned. It got really a good review and the price is right. :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dave, i have last year's model (65313) and love it. some random thoughts follow:

do you have a brightly lit room or lots of glare? if so, you will have to remove the glare shield - otherwise you'll go crazy. of course, this leaves your screen somewhat vulnerable.

any progressive dvd player will do a fine job, but you may want to consider one of the new upconverting dvd players. this will output dvd's at 1080i (this tv doesn't do 720p) -- the difference is subtle, but there.

your tv will definitely be hd ready when blu-ray (or hd-dvd) comes out.

--

my only complaint would be that the damn tv is just so big...it takes up a lot of space.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ted,

Can you recommend such a player for me?

I would definitely remove the glare screen as all ISF calibrationists recommend for improved detail.

Thanks for the input.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
umm...well....errr... ;)

problem is there's lots of controversy about what makes a good upconverting player. my only personal experience is with the samsung 931 (which they don't make any more).

here's a couple of threads that may interest you and help you make a decision.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=199904

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=219484

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=423609

bottom line, there's a few popular models out there. the zenith 318 comes to mind. a lot of people are waiting for the samsung 941 (including me). the samsung 841 hasn't done too well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks