I need you guys to help me get a job: Elect me Radio Host

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robert Anthony, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Seriously. I know it sounds weird, but here's the general story:

I got fired from my job awhile ago. It was a crappy story (one I've written at www.operationsombrero.com, plug plug plug) but I've been out of work for awhile now. Job situation up here is pretty crappy.

Lucky for me, the rock station up here had a producer leave the afternoon shift to take a morning show job in another city. The radio station then decided to open up auditions for local talent, and turn it into a contest. I used to have a real love for radio and DJ'ing, and I'd kept up an email and call-in correspondence with the hosts, so I figured I'd do up a demo and give it a shot. I made the 4 finalists, and got a week to show my stuff, which they liked a LOT. Winner gets 5000 bucks, an old Cadillac, and a month guaranteed full time employment as producer of "The Cort and Boomer Show." I know I'll be able to stretch that into a yearlong contract, I just need to get in the door. This is pretty much the only job opportunity I've gotten in a while that looks positive.

This is where you come in: Voting is by email, on Election Day. I NEED YOUR HELP. I don't want to leave anything to chance, and I'm begging you guys at the HTF to help me. I'll up this thread later with the link to the vote when it becomes available, but if you guys could help out, I'd SERIOUSLY appreciate it.

if you want to check out the demo's, the website is www.kufo.com, and the contest info and details is about a third of the way down the page. My nom de plume is "FATBOY" which is a story in and of itself [​IMG]

EDIT: AND HERE'S THE VOTING LINK:

http://www.kufo.com/contest/lowlifet...e_voting.shtml

EDIT: Website updated--voting goes till Sunday. One Vote per Email Address.

2. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I will do anything to help a fellow Star Wars fan!!!

Brandon

3. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Robert, your links don't seem to be working. Do a bump on election day as a reminder and I'll vote.

4. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

The links aren't working because the automatic post scripting is incorporating the commas [​IMG]

I'll fix that. And thanks you guys. This thing's already got 52 views--if come election day, each one of those 52 people vote, I'll be LOVIN it.

My only real worry here is that the people who I've pissed off on the internet will see this and go "Oh..hey, yunno what'd be funny? if this blowhard condescending smartass lost the job because I VOTED FOR ANYONE ELSE BUT HIM, AHAHAHAHAHAH!!"

Which, to tell the truth, is a real possibility [​IMG]

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Be sure to update this thread on THE day and I'll send off the email.

For what it's worth, I used to work in a call center too. While not as crummy as yours, my experience was still a pretty miserable one. I understand completely.

6. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Call Centers are the new McJobs. But more demeaning. At least the managers at Fast Foods places aren't under the delusion they're important businessmen. But at Call Centers? The jobs are just as de-skilled, and the employees aren't encouraged to be anything but mediocre, and if you rise above that line, you make YOURSELF a target, but the difference is that the managers at Call Centers think they're legitimate corporate businesspeople. And so their condescension and disregard for the people under them increases thirtyfold.

Thanks for reading the story, too. [​IMG]

This will most DEFINITELY be updated with the EXACT link the instant I see it's been posted at the site.

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    go to All Access like the rest of us have to [​IMG]

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I'll vote for you, "Lefty". [​IMG]

9. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

You're welcome, Robert. It took me quite a while to get all the way through it, but it was worth it. At least to know that the place I worked wasn't the only bad apple out there. And eventhough it sucks being fired, you're much better off not being there (though leaving on your own terms for a better job would have been better). At my call center call times were number one. Nevermind I was actually HELPING our customers so my call times were average and occasionally, over. But there were people who would just hang up on callers so their averages were really low. Of course these were our "prized" employees because their call times were half the average [​IMG] But cie la vie, I'm working at a better place now. And I'll definitely vote for you so you'll be too. [​IMG]

10. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

so which one are you... I listen to that show on my drive home and Ill send my vote your way [​IMG]

11. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I'm Fatboy Roberts [​IMG]

I forgot that about half the population of this board is from Oregon, or at least it seems that way cruising the forum [​IMG]

12. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

oh btw... Im expecting some kick ass concert tickits if you win [​IMG] [​IMG].... I have a 1/2 dozen e-mail addresses so 6 votes going your way! [​IMG]

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sounds like you're perfect for radio! [​IMG]

14. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Dave,

That's only for talk show, he's got to have an unalienable ego to be a DJ. [​IMG]

15. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I've got both. I'm multipurpose [​IMG]

You got a job in the business, Justin? Whatcha do?

16. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Here is a friendly reminder to vote tomorrow for Robert. Oh yeah, you can vote in that other election that's going on but surely the one for Robert is the more important one. Actually, this is simply a silly excuse for a bump.

17. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Whoa, hey, thanks Tommy [​IMG]

Yeah, the link apparently goes live at midnight tonight or noon tomorrow. I'll post the direct link here as soon as I find it.

18. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

Luckily yours is the best demo by far so we can vote for you guilt free.

19. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

http://www.kufo.com/contest/lowlifet...e_voting.shtml

There's the page.

Thanks a lot you guys. I really REALLY appreciate it. Voting is open till Friday. Vote early

Oh, and make sure you vote for Fatboy. Don't be distracted by the cute girl mooning you at the bottom of the page. [​IMG]

20. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Interesting Note: The hosts told me one vote per email address. The site says one vote per person. The hosts also told me voting was to go thru the weekend, and we'd all find out Monday. The site says voting ends on Friday and I find out that day. I'm guessing it's just a website slip-up, but until I check with the hosts tomorrow, no ballot box stuffing, and make sure that vote gets in by Friday [​IMG]