What's new

I need two Systems on a budget (1 Viewer)

LawrenceJ

Agent
Okay, i am in the process of trying to do (2) systems in my home on a budget.

One for bedroom use and one for the living room.
Lets start with the bedroom... I currently have a 32" GE television and a Panasonic All in One SAHT-80 unit in there now which is going out with the garage sale stuff.
I was thinking of doing a flatpanel 42" EDTV and
bose 3-2-1 system in here until I found out the the 42"inch EDTV didn't have a tuner, so now I am looking at a panasonic 42"Plasma with the built in tuner and it also has quam among other things.

I know there are some bose haters here but I need something simple in the bedroom that sounds good and has dvd/cd/radio functionality and not alot of wires & cables running everywhere.

The living room is a little different... I currently have a toshiba 55inch projection in there that i am getting rid of and mostly sony equipment. The wall unit that i just purchased will hold a 60inch tv but the tv cannot have a base like most projection tv's have.

The sony equipment i have for the most part sounds fine to me except i want it to have a little extra umph which is why I am willing to upgrade it. It does have one functionality that I would like to have in the new system (which is, being able to view cd and song titles in my remote window from the 300 disc cd changer).

My total budget for all of this will be $8K and cannot exceed $10K.
I am open to all and any suggestions as i would like this sytem in place by xmas.

LawrenceJ

Agent
So far this is what I have decided on...
Bedroom
Panasonic Plasma HDTV.. I didnt get the model # but it was $2900 & the Bose 3-2-1 for $1000

Living Room
Sony 55" LCD HDTV (KDF55XS955) for $3450
Marantz SR7500 $900
NHT SB2 $360 Bookshelfs
NHT SC2 $360 Center
NHT SW12 $670 Sub

and I can use my existing Sony Progressive 5 Disc DVD, 300Disc CD Changer and Laserdisc Player.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence, the Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level ("What is 'DLP'?," "Why a receiver and sub/sats instead of HTiB?," etc.). You're asking for specific purchasing information about two complete systems. As such, your thread should go here in A/V Sources (which nominally is about DVD players, satellite receivers, cable boxes, turntables, CD players, etc. -- but which also can accommodate discussion of complete systems).

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Instead of the Bose why not look at the Rotel RSDX-02 and add some of the smaller micro speakers like the Rocket Tykes or Energy Take 5's. Either will sound much better then the Bose system and be just as compact and easy to use.

For the living room what Sony gear do you already own? Maybe adding a seperate power amp will get you what you want from the audio side which might allow you to spend more on the speakers. I also wouldn't buy the NHT sub as there's better options for similar money (Adire Sadhara, SVS etc)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence,
I'd advocate going agaist the Bose 123 system which for $1k is utterly ridiculous. A Panasonic HTIB would be a better bet and they include Wireless speakers. I wouldn't think you need much of a discriminating sound system in your bedroom so that should do. Wireless would mean an easy setup and it should by all means sound better than the overprice Bose setup which tries to replicate surround sound out of 1 speaker. :thumbsdown:

For your home system, I personally would go with one of the JVC DIlA's. As far as the audio goes, The speakers are fine if you like them but the sub could be improved upon. I personally would also look towards SVS, HSU or Adire over the NHT sub. SVS would easily be my first pick of the bunch though.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I was going to suggest the Yamaha HTiB with wireless surround speakers. Yeah, you have to cahnge the batteries, but there are no wires! And it costs less than the 3*2*1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks